Remixing

Hardada

Hi all!

So i want to start with remixing some songs, and get some expirence so i get better at producing and so on...
Only problem is, i don't know where to start...
Should i start laying in some chords, or start out with a lead melody and make chords after that, or a whole other thing?

So you're remixing someone else's songs? Does that mean you have stems? Not sure about your question...what are the parts you are starting out with?

Yeah if your wanting to do remixes, hunt for the stems. many websites run comps and offer up the stems for free. Beatport, Spinnin records who have a talent pool. There's other websites more band/commercial orientated too but I forget their names.

From his post, I am guessing he starting out with an acapella (vocal stem), which kinda makes it simple. Your first objective would be to find the key of the vocal, which can be done by simply playing the melody line. Rhythm (drums) would be based upon whatever alteration you are making to the cadence of the vocals. The next step would be to create a bass line and chord progression based around the rhythm and key of the acapella. How much (or how little) you choose to deviate from the original song is up to you.

Like with composing a track from scratch, there's no one way to do a remix. Before even opening your DAW ask yourself the following questions:
1. Which style will your remix be? Do you want to alter the character of the song (e.g. make it more radio or club friendly) or completely change the style?
2. Which elements do you want to keep? Usually that would be the main melody or parts of it or other characteristic sounds.
3. Do you want to keep the chord structure or create your own?

If you are clear with these questions, take an element to start with and work your way forward from there. I often start with programming drums, but it could also be chords or a bass line. Add the original elements you chose to keep early on, so you have some kind of guideline.

I hope this helps as a starting point.

Don't overthink the remix process, though. The most important thing is to start, getting your feet wet, getting your own experiences and find your own workflow.

Well obviously to start you need the stems/acapella to whatever song you're going to remix and find what key it's in and like you said just start laying chords down and build up the song. I was confused too like you at the start, but it's really not too hard.

Back