Reggae Sound

X

xplicityoungin

Wassup,

I am curious as to how the reggae sound is achieved. By the "reggae sound" i mean like the instruments in music like old reggae (Bob Marley type ish, Buffalo Soldier, One love, etc.) Can any1 help me get this sound?

Lots of live instrumentation (guitars, drums, horns) and old analog synths.

You may be able to duplicate some sounds of the analog synth with a VA synth, but lots of it is based of live instrumentation.

I have a friend in a Reggae band and it's al live instruments. Drums, bass guitar, ( or synth bass ) lead guitar and keys ( I think they use an old DX synth )

I guess you could get something like BFD ( similar ) for live drum kits, something like Trilogy for bass and synths, but Guitar parts are hard to get authentic. Steinberg Virtual Guitarist?

It's not going to sound like Bob Marley for sure, but it would be one of the ways to go in a virtual set-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been writing a lot of reggae tunes lately. I do it with a guitar, bass, keyboards and sound modules & samplers w/multi-samples for horns and other instruments I can't play. Bass, guitars, piano, electric piano & organ dominate my music, so I have the live instrumentation covered with that. My horn multi-samples are pretty good, so I can get by with some brass hits & short fills.

xplicityoungin said:
Wassup,

I am curious as to how the reggae sound is achieved. By the "reggae sound" i mean like the instruments in music like old reggae (Bob Marley type ish, Buffalo Soldier, One love, etc.) Can any1 help me get this sound?
Check the beat on my page called Jamaican sunrise. Its a reggea style beat. The most important thing is the rythm guitar to get that reggea feel IMO. I used a vst called edirol super quartet for the guitar.

Back