Recreating simple(?) Bass Sound

BERMIO

Hi guys!

I want to learn more about the sound design of bass using FM synths. Since I am new to this, I am reading about it, listening to a lot of tracks and trying to (re)create and understand what makes a bass sound the way it does.

In specific I was wondering about the bass in a Matt Sassari track (see below). Is there someone who has an idea about the Synthesis and the Processing of the sound?

I was thinking that there might be a Sine Wave involved to get the subby sound and that there is a lot of cutoff. But like I already said I don't have a lot of knowledge so hopefully there is someone that wants to think this through with me. I am using Massive and Abletons Operator as synths. Thanks. (Couldn't post a link cause I am new here, but the name of the track is below)

Track: Scruby and Aron Chiarella - Bassline (Matt Sassari Remix)

I make my subs with a simple 3-wave oscillator on a sine wave. I pitch the first two oscillators down an octave, and EQ all the highs out. Also, some distortion can make for some wubby fun trunk rumbling.

Hi man! Thanks for the answer, really appreciate it!
Do you think the track I posted only makes use of a sub or that there is also bass in higher frequencies?

Will definitely try what you posted in here, but do you mean that the first two sines are at the same octave and than there is a third sine an octave higher?
Or more like this: Sine 1, Sine 1 -12 st, Sine 1 - 24 st?

From what I'm hearing it definitely seems mostly sub-bass, but I can feel some heavy hitting percussive elements blending in nicely too. It's a fun song, honestly.

Also, for the sine-wave subs, that's essentially what I do yeah. Just pitch two sines -12 st, and leave the third oscillator untouched; this is just how I like my subs though, it's all up to you as a producer to keep it how you like. Just mess around a bit and I'm sure you'll find a sweet spot in there.

Regarding FM, I love to just set a high resonance on a low pass filter and modulate the shit out of the cutoff, really fun sounding! It's an easy way to get some interesting sounds and "swoosh noises" haha. Good luck man!

From what I'm hearing it definitely seems mostly sub-bass, but I can feel some heavy hitting percussive elements blending in nicely too. It's a fun song, honestly.

Also, for the sine-wave subs, that's essentially what I do yeah. Just pitch two sines -12 st, and leave the third oscillator untouched; this is just how I like my subs though, it's all up to you as a producer to keep it how you like. Just mess around a bit and I'm sure you'll find a sweet spot in there.

Regarding FM, I love to just set a high resonance on a low pass filter and modulate the shit out of the cutoff, really fun sounding! It's an easy way to get some interesting sounds and "swoosh noises" haha. Good luck man!

Thanks for responding! Maybe a stupid question but what is the effect of stacking two sines with the same pitch on top of eachother? Does this just fattens up the sound or does this generates a different waveform? I am trying to understand FM synthesis but there is a lot coming at you when you are not used to it..

And with the percussive elements blended togheter with the sub do you mean that they are hitting at the same time? Or that a low passed tom or somehting is layered loose from the sub hits to create groove? Sounds interesting to experiment about! Didn't know bass could be made like this, I am only into producing for a short time so this really helps man!

Back