Realistic strings?

RzRbeats

Hello everybody,I've been struggling to find realistic string sounds like these,how can I get or make strings like in this beat,thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
The lead and second violin parts don't sound particularly good to me (as in "realistic"); kind of crappy, actually. The section stuff sounds pretty good (if you mean the little string breakdown at about 2:05). But these aren't what I'd call "exemplary string sounds" by any means.

The trick to any of this stuff is using the desired instrument sound in its actual range (meaning, don't play it really high or really low if that's not what the actual acoustic instrument can do), and also, importantly, trying to "think"/play like a violin player (or trumpet, or French horn, or whatever). That involves examining how the acoustic version of the desired instrument sounds, and what the basic playing techniques are. So if you're trying to emulate a violin, listen to some violinists first. If you want to write convincing string section parts, listen to some records with string sections and see what the arranger wrote, and listen for how the section players interpreted it.

For example, in the video above, I think the violin melody is much too choppy, and there really isn't any vibrato applied at all. Even a staccato melody like that would have some sustained notes and a bit of vibrato in there, unless it was played pizzicato (no bow; fingers only). Adding those things would add a layer of realism.

When you're thinking about range, also think of that in terms of parts and arrangement. If you want the strings to stick out a bit, then you don't also want to have organ, piano, and guitar all playing the same chords as well, using the exact same voicings in the exact same register. A C chord on top of a C chord on top of a C chord on top of a C chord, all playing triads of C-E-G, will just add up to mud when it comes to mix time. So those things have to be thought-out a bit ahead of time.

But I digress. To make more realistic strings, play them like a string player would. This will require some listening and analysis.

GJ

Last edited:
My favorite for strings is always gonna be EAST WEST you cant go wrong really. For realistic strings our gonna have to shell out a decent amount of money. I've tried to look for ways around it but I never got anywhere.

So listening to this, it sounds like they used a detaché bowing sample for all strings (violins, violas and cellos) with the odd sustained slide down to the next note which then cuts off as if it were played detaché - for this level of sample you could use miroslav philharmonick or the garritan personal orchestra libraries

I agree with gj, that the playing is not very realistic, but that is always going to be the case when you have someone, who may know next to nothing about music, tries to extend themselves initially - they obviously liked the sample and couldn't or wouldn't think beyond the sample they had settled on using

The same passage played with sustained strings with a little vibrato and appropriately shaped rhythmic interpretation (making the length of the note shorter so that the staccato flavour comes through without the detached sound of the sample) would make this an entirely more believable line

My immediate go-to would be an actual musician who can play a string part live for you whether it be cello, violin, viola, or a combination of them.
If you don't know any string players, then you'll have to use samples.

What DAW are you using?

Ableton Live 9 Suite comes with a great selection of orchestral string samples, as does Logix Pro X.

You would have to write the string parts yourself, individually, which could take as long as you want it to, but the end product will be rewarding!

If you do a little searching online you could find string sample packs either for free download or purchase as well.

Good luck!

My immediate go-to would be an actual musician who can play a string part live for you whether it be cello, violin, viola, or a combination of them.
If you don't know any string players, then you'll have to use samples.

What DAW are you using?

Ableton Live 9 Suite comes with a great selection of orchestral string samples, as does Logix Pro X.

You would have to write the string parts yourself, individually, which could take as long as you want it to, but the end product will be rewarding!

If you do a little searching online you could find string sample packs either for free download or purchase as well.

Good luck!
Or find a composition major in your city who will arrange the parts for you in your DAW. They'll do it for $100. Trust me-they won't turn down your money.

Thank you everybody for your replies,I am currently using FL Studio,my string libraries revolve around Hypersonic,Edirol Orchestral and DSK Overture,I am also considering about going Ableton Live 9 because even the stock strings have a bowed realistic sound,should I? btw,I don't have any string players nearby in my area :P

Try Kontakt 5. It's very popular for strings.

agreed that the VSL library that is found in the kontakt factory library is good, but don't forget that kontakt is a sample player and has many libraries available including action strings and hollywood strings

Right. I know for a fact that Avicii, Otto Knows, Alesso etc use Kontakt and other Native Instruments stuff. But that particular one is incredible for warm strings. I've never used it but definitely consider it. Wait so It's a sample player, what's the difference between that and a rom sampler?

Last edited:
kontakt on its own does not have any sounds

it uses libraries including the factory library plus any others that you buy for it

difference between a sample player and rompler is where the data is stored: sample player in sw stores data (the sample files) on a hard disk; a ROMpler stores the data in physical memory (Read Only Memory hence the term ROMpler) usually on a cartridge; early hw based samplers almost always stored their data as files on disks

Back to Callisto's point; absolutely real strings would be best. But you can take it a step further, and improve the sound of simulated strings by adding one or two real players. Back in the days of really crappy MIDI sounds, I did a record that I wrote a little string part for quartet. It sounded kind of "meh," until we got a violinist to overdub a few unison parts, then the strings came alive.

And, as someone else mentioned, you may think there aren't any string players in your area, but if there are any schools or colleges near you, there will be somebody. And college students are enthusiastic and hungry (often literally hungry, as in "will work for food").

GJ

I'd really try to go for finding a real player - even though the mics and spaces and players used to put together those sample libraries are top notch, they're always gonna sound pretty generic, in a way.

If money is not a problem. The yamaha motif xs or xf have good sounding strings too. I believe they have the software vst version if the module or board is too high priced. But thats just what I feel. I still use my motif for acoustic sounds if I cant get a player in time. And turn to logic pro x for synths. Its works great for me.

Last edited:
hey guys i jsut thought i would ask a question in here than start a new thread as its kind of relevant, say when your composing and u have your chord progression how would u write out in midi your strings to give them that discoey funky string run kind of effect so rather than sampling i just want to write my own if anyones good at it making there own please let me know thanks

If money is not a problem. The yamaha motif xs or xf have good sounding strings too. I believe they have the software vst version if the module or board is too high priced. But thats just what I feel. I still use my motif for acoustic sounds if I cant get a player in time. And turn to logic pro x for synths. Its works great for me.

Well, if realism is what you're after, then the better sample libraries available are light years ahead of what these romplers can offer. The Motif stuff can sound nice in a poppy context, but it's not gonna pass for a realistic performance, especially if you're trying to do solo instruments.

Unfortunately,I am not able to get that realiatic sound,Kontakt 5 libraries cost tons of money,and I can't afford to get a string player to get the part I want right,I also have a decent string library in my Yamaha PSR-E343,but I can't get the sound that I like,everything I use (even with tweaking) sounds like a PS1 game and I hate that a lot!

Back