Realistic strings?

If there's a cheap solution that will solve my problem,then it is something I can afford,I know am getting a little tiring about this matter,but my budget is way too restricted,and I am not willing to give over 30 euros for a string player,or a Kontakt library unless I collect some money first,and if there's a free solution I will be happy to try it.

Last edited:
Well, free is as free does...

The cheap solution is as outlined; it will only cost you time and patience-- listen to string players and play the parts in a way that is realistic.

GJ

Alright about that,where can I find some pieces in order to practice my hearing and btw does the articulation determine how realistic for instance a violin is,or it depend on which string do you play?

When composing comes to mind. You'll notice many music makers cant really play instruments the way they are suppose to sound. Im pretty sure going the super cheap route is always gonna give u cheap results. It all depends on how things are played and programmed if ur going the midi route. If anything, learn how to write for strings first.

Right, that's what he's asking about. But since really learning to write for strings would most likely entail quite a bit of expensive tuition and time in a music school or studying composition with a private instructor, and our OP has already expressed his situation (short on cash, but not necessarily time), it sounds like the "school of hard-knocks" will be the mode of choice, at least for now. With that in mind, let's answer the OP's last few questions...

It won't matter "which string" you're playing, as you'll be playing or entering notes with a keyboard, pad controller, or mouse. What will matter is the range/register you play the part in (a realistic range of notes for that instrument).

As as you mentioned, articulation, or, how the notes are played, will also be very important to the goal of realism.

So what to listen to that will help guide you in the right direction? Anything with string parts, or string quartet or orchestral music. Watch YouTube videos that feature violins and violinists. Search for "A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra," which I believe Band Coach has posted more than once. Watch how the bow is used, listen to how it sounds, listen to what they sound like when played with legato (long/flowing) or stacatto (short/choppy) notes, and listen the attack, sustain, and vibrato. Getting a handle on these things will get you a lot closer to your goals.

GJ

Any sampled strings, no matter the price, can sound generic and/or unrealistic if the fact that you're programming in MIDI is ignored. Like people have been saying, the results will be at least as much contingent on how you are programming the part. This YouTube video may help explain this (its for Logic, but the basic premise is the same for any DAW):

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys i jsut thought i would ask a question in here than start a new thread as its kind of relevant, say when your composing and u have your chord progression how would u write out in midi your strings to give them that discoey funky string run kind of effect so rather than sampling i just want to write my own if anyones good at it making there own please let me know thanks

that's kind of tricky to start with, as without an example, I could offer you half a dozen different ways to write the run and each would be right and each would be wrong depending on your specific needs

however, most string runs are 4 note patterns that restart higher or lower than the previous pattern finishes

a simple rising pattern in C major might be

C-D-E-F-
D-E-F-G-
E-F-G-A-
F-G-A-B-
G-A-B-C-
orC-A-B-C-
D-B-C-D-
E-C-D-E-
F-D-E-F-
G-E-F-G-
A-F-G-A-
B-G-A-B-
orC-D-E-C
D-E-F-D-
E-F-G-E-
F-G-A-F-
G-A-B-G-
A-B-C-A-
B-C-D-B-
orC-D-B-C
D-E-C-D-
E-F-D-E-
F-G-E-F-
G-A-F-G-
A-B-G-A-
B-C-A-B-

More complicated patterns might spell out partial chords like so

C-E-F-D-
D-F-G-E-
E-G-A-F-
F-A-B-G-
G-B-C-A-
A-C-D-B-
B-D-E-C-

Change the direction of the pattern like so

C-B-A-G-
D-C-B-A-
E-D-C-B-
F-E-D-C-
G-F-E-D-
orC-E-D-C-
D-F-E-D-
E-G-F-E-
F-A-G-F-
G-B-A-G-
A-C-B-A-
B-D-C-B-
orC-B-A-C
D-C-B-D-
E-D-C-E-
F-E-D-F-
G-F-E-G-
A-G-F-A-
B-A-G-B-
orC-B-D-C
D-C-E-D-
E-D-F-E-
F-E-G-F-
G-F-A-G-
A-G-B-A-
B-A-C-B-

lengths of notes could be variously 8ths, 16ths, 8th triplets, 16th triplets

when layering string sections you might use different note lengths for each section reflecting not so much their ability to move fast or not but the density of notes that work well in their frequency range (lots of 16ths or smaller notes for double basses and cellos tend to just sound muddy better to use 8ths or triplets 8ths or triplet quarters)

If you are really feeling adventurous you could even create longer patterns and use 32nds at slower tempos or use th2 same 4 note pattern at 16ths but play (bow) each note twice to give a nice movement to the line

additionally consider using odd number tuplets like 7-tuplet (7:8) (could be seven 16ths or 32nds in the space of 8 of the same type) or 9-tuplet (9:8) (could be 9 16ths or 32nds also in the space of 8 of the same type) for high violins and 16ths for violas and triplet 8ths for cellos and straight 8ths for basses

Don't forget to balance such runs with long held notes - i.e. have a point of arrival for the run otherwise it will come across as a meaningless gesture and the novelty will run out very quickly, making your audience tired or annoyed or both

Last edited:
Alright about that,where can I find some pieces in order to practice my hearing and btw does the articulation determine how realistic for instance a violin is,or it depend on which string do you play?

Right, that's what he's asking about. But since really learning to write for strings would most likely entail quite a bit of expensive tuition and time in a music school or studying composition with a private instructor, and our OP has already expressed his situation (short on cash, but not necessarily time), it sounds like the "school of hard-knocks" will be the mode of choice, at least for now. With that in mind, let's answer the OP's last few questions...

It won't matter "which string" you're playing, as you'll be playing or entering notes with a keyboard, pad controller, or mouse. What will matter is the range/register you play the part in (a realistic range of notes for that instrument).

the better libraries allow you to specify which string plays which note and so knowing where a line should sit on a violin to be played well/smoothly or jaggedly is as important as knowing the actual articulation types for each sound available

As as you mentioned, articulation, or, how the notes are played, will also be very important to the goal of realism.

So what to listen to that will help guide you in the right direction? Anything with string parts, or string quartet or orchestral music. Watch YouTube videos that feature violins and violinists. Search for "A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra," which I believe Band Coach has posted more than once. Watch how the bow is used, listen to how it sounds, listen to what they sound like when played with legato (long/flowing) or stacatto (short/choppy) notes, and listen the attack, sustain, and vibrato. Getting a handle on these things will get you a lot closer to your goals.

GJ

a better source to consider for first timers is to use the following site

Principles of Orchestration Online

and it's sister site

Jazz Arranging Online - by Prof. Chuck Israels

Awesome info and resources BC. To your point about knowing the instrument you are writing for-- I wrote some really cool violin parts for another record I was working on once (not the string quartet thing mentioned earlier). I actually had to write the parts out; not what I usually do and not what I like to do (not my forte). I like to work with horn players and string players that I know, that I can play a line or sing a line to, that they can "get," and then we can verbally/orally tweak it until it's right. But in this case, I wrote the parts out. Incorrectly, for the violin, as it turns out. She could figure it out; the melody wasn't "wrong," just not written in a violin-friendly way. She said to me "I know you, and I get this, so we can make it work. But just so you know, don't write it this way ever again-- any other string player would just stare at you."

And ViolaCello, great video if one has the patience to persist through it in its entirety; a very nice comparison of "realistic" vs. "not-so-much-so." The basic parameters he was talking about apply to string or horn parts, regardless of whether you're using a sample library, or are using some kind of hardware/synth emulation with a physical mod wheel (I like to do this type of writing/producing on my Juno G).

GJ

Strings

Hello everybody,I've been struggling to find realistic string sounds like these,how can I get or make strings like in this beat,thank you in advance!

You first have to have a sample library that has articulations and bowing that is "key switched"
It is often easier to draw the Key switching in in the MIDI note editor rather than playing it in.
I use Kirk Hunter and a Giga Studio player. There are lots of library out there. There aren't cheap.
The second thing is you have to know how to write those lines which is a composer approach and know string bowing and articultion

It isn't easy. I often spend hours getting the articulations, volumes and key switching together. Then you still have to mix it.

Good luck

I use realistic sounding strings in Reason. A bit of tweaking here and there and you can get some nice realistic sounding strings.

EastWest for low/high end...LA scoring String for High End. If you're a student you cant really beat bundling the CCC package with a student discount. You can almost East Wests Entire library of every instrument and synth, etc... for less money than LA scoring STRINGS alone.

LASS is super top end like 1200 buck for the string library. But if you pay a student 100 now id almost rather just spend 200 on east wests strings and have them forever. Wont be as good, but do you need great strings once or do you want good strings to use forever for double the cost?

its your call you know all the options now you just need to do what you think is best for your situation. I havent really read any of the posts before this so I dunno whats been said.

If you are willing to fork out the cash, East West's "Hollywood Strings" sounds incredible!

Last edited:
Back