Real composers... STAND UP!

AzNTonio

Sup FP, I didn't know if I should've started this in track review or theory & composing but here it is lol. Anyways so, basically all I want is to see people that make beats (Hip-Hop/R&B/Pop/whatever) by composing and feel good at it... and by composing I mean you have some kind of orchestration and harmony in the beat, not necessarily like random notes in a scale, but anyways feel free to post what you got.

I just feel the need to see where I'm standing against all these composers and I know some people feel the same way too sometimes, I'd also like to know about you, how long have you been at it, have you taken courses, have you learned to play an instrument? etc...

As for me, I'm 17 years old and I've been making beats for about 1 1/2 years and I've never taken any music course and I can't play an instrument except a little bit of piano I taught myself but that's really nothing. I did, however, search a lot on the internet about music theory (free ;) ) and I gotta say it has given me all I know now.

For the moment, I'm sorry I don't have a myspace page or a soundclick, but one will be up by tomorrow I was just anxious to start this thread lol.

Anyways I'll def. leave you feedback if I'm feeling your music, hope to hear of y'all soon!

Tonio

I've been playing piano since 5. Listening to a lot of classical music helped me with my arrangements big time but I've never taken any courses on composition (I should though, sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm doing because I don't have professional training). Check out.

i plays the piano lol..

check out my track I Won't Forget.. its pretty nasty.. but i still need to clean it up.. the pianos sound madd over powering

Been playin the piano since I was 5, and I'm 19 right now. I too need lessons in composition bcuz I can hardly make a song. Its hard to go from classical to anything else. If you want to get good make sure you learn the piano. That's the basis for beats. The drums you can easily learn but the melodies is what makes a good song. Or you can sample which isn't what I call "talent" IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
check out my soundclick on my sig. my newest ones are the firs 5 besides the one named "soul" (That ones old), but the others i just uploaded today cuz i just got my internet back after about a month and a half of no internet! yay for me! but as you can see through my old songs progressing into my newer songs u can see that i'm straying away from making hardcore/gangster beats to more soulful/jazzy/bluesy beats. im getting a lot better at piano and music theory and composition; the track named hope is a piano loop i composed myself that i really like as well as the others. my old song named "soul" is something i sampled from an old jazz piano song, even though i dont really like sampling that much and its not really my forte, anyways.
let me know what you think and ill return the favor.
Edit:
o and all of the new songs i just uploaded are not finished. i'm still waiting for my partner to come to my house and record his guitar to finish the tracks but i still need to buy him a wah pedal to get that bluesy effect. (together we are a band/group or whatever call MELODIC MARAUDERS!)

Last edited by a moderator:
lol real composers. Everyone composes in some form or another, just some people think they are special.

Last edited:
i still use samples.. just not as noticably as real samplers do..

i try to recreate/replay stuff..

Vdub said:
My type of thread

You got some dope music there.

That flute sound on "Sweet Sex" did that come from software? Cause I've been looking for a good pop flute instead of all those hollow orchestral ones.

lol everytime someone's gotta get mad.. I wasn't out to get you. When you sample, you're taking someone else's composition. At least that's just how I feel about it.

-Jay- said:
lol everytime someone's gotta get mad.. I wasn't out to get you. When you sample, you're taking someone else's composition. At least that's just how I feel about it.

You referring to me? I'm not mad I find it funny that people want to put themselves in a box.

Me I'm neither, I just make beats.

i just started a couple of months ago. i have no formal music knowledge, nor can i play an instrument. my music history is on par, but i gotta get my playing skills up...

my links in my sig...hit me up....

-Jay- said:
When you sample, you're taking someone else's composition. At least that's just how I feel about it.

There's a lot more creative ways to sample than simply jack a four-bar loop out of an existing song...

I compose, but I feel that it takes a lot of talent and creativity to dig for samples, arrange them and lay a beat down that works and melds into a sample. To me producers that sample are composers too, they just use the sample as their intstrument.

BJv said:
You got some dope music there.

That flute sound on "Sweet Sex" did that come from software? Cause I've been looking for a good pop flute instead of all those hollow orchestral ones.

believe it or not i just used some dry soundfont flute, i tweaked it of course but thats it

Back