R&B Chords/Turnarounds

MajorSyrtis

I'm trying to locate a quick way of establishing these types of chords and turnarounds for my songs.
I admit, I don't have time to learn the correct and traditional way.

I was going to post a link, but because I'm new I'm prohibited from doing so.
The tune in question is Jonah Baseball's remix of RL Grime's 'Reminder', which can be found on Baseball's soundcloud page.

I would like to ask, is there a way to locate and implement these type of turnarounds much quicker than sitting at a midi keyboard and struggling for hours?

How about fruity loops? I've come across dope producers who utilise the kind of approach heard above, however I know they're not all traditionally trained pianists or experts in chord theory.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
The chord voicings in that track are jazz. Not sure where you are going to get a quick way to sound like that though. Even if you sampled everything you would need music theory to know how to put it all together. I hope that helps you.

Ears man. They may not be traditionally trained pianists but they have ears.. That's the only way. FL is cool and there is the whole paste chord function but its just a short cut for typical voicings. You can mess around with scale remappers and stuff like that but those don't allow you jump out of key and back and what not. Isolate what the bass is doing in the song and then listen to what the top note melody is doing, then ear out the rest of notes in the middle of the chord. If you have a bit of music theory knowledge you should be able to figure out those notes in between.

Back