Quickest way to know the name of a sound/instrument?

ronz.ombie

So often, I listen to a song and there will be some sounds/instruments that I really like but I don't know how to easily know its name. (The only way I can think of is posting each song here asking you guys specifically.)
So I was wondering if there's some kind of sound dictionary or list of common sounds and their names so I can easily check them out.

I think this really just comes down to experience. Listen to a lot of stuff, play a lot of stuff, listen to others play, whatever. Of course when you get a basic understanding of how certain groups of instruments sound, you can always just go on a Youtube spree to try and pinpoint certain things...but it can often be tricky, especially if there's a lot of processing/fx involved.

"young persons guide to the orchestra"

also "carnival of the animals" by both Saint-Saens

Manfred Mann's rock version of peter and the wolf from 1975

and Peter Ustinov narrating peter and the wolf as well

Last edited:
yea like krushing said, experience is a big one for this. But I'd say the quickest way is to sit down at a keyboard and play thru the all the sounds. As a keyboard player, that's helped me a lot.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll do what mbolden suggested first because it does seem like a very easy way to learn the sounds. (I don't know why I didn't think of it before loll.)

Back