quick scale question?

ok some im making a beat in the scale of e Dorian

the chords used is here chords are held for the entire bar

now i now there's no c in e dorian so i guessing it becomes e phrygian c major what ever how ever you want to say it

problem is my melody start in bar 1 E C# why do the c# sounds off! if im playing in e dorian in the 1st bar

bar 1 E G B / bar 2 E G C / BAR 3 EBG / BAR 4 EGC/

Last edited:
ok its not off thats just the sound it make! lol excuse my musical ignorance for some reason what i was making started sounding like james bond theme googled what scales is bond theme in ah ha dorian answered my own question

E Dorian is E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D-E

E Phrygian is E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E

huge difference in that both 2 and 6 are sharp in the Dorian built on E

However, your progression continues as if it were some modal extension of C major/E Phrygian and the clash you are hearing is not the C# against teh Em chord but against the following C major chord (although the progression reads more like a modified Russian Cadence - ||: EGB | EGB# | EGC# | EGB# :|| B#=C).

Modify the melody so that the C# is first (C#-A perhaps) or insert notes between the C# and the start of the next bar so that C# is distanced from the C in the next bar.....

Additionally the characteristic tones of each mode are as follows

Modal nameScale form compared to major scaleCharacteristic toneIn C major would be
Ionian (Major)1-2-3-4-5-6-7-87B
Dorian1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7-86B
Phrygian1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-8b2F
Lydian1-2-3-#4-5-6-7-8#4B
Mixolydian1-2-3-4-5-6-b7-8b7F
Aeolian1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-8b6F
Locrian1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7-8b5F

These are the notes that should be emphasised in any lines that you create

Last edited:
Back