Question's about arpegios?

TroyLoud

I haven't used arp's in my productions but i do like the sound of them and i'm thinking to use some. My issue is, i have arp presets and to me it feels like using an arp is cutting a corner to music production in the sense that, anyone can use that very same arp and have the very same sound literally in their production if by chance we downloaded the same preset pack. so my question is, is it good practise in music for producers to use arps?how do you feel about them?

Well, I guess complex arpeggiated presets that are almost like one-button songs can feel a bit cheap. I personally use arpeggiators all the time - but no presets. For me it's just a melody/sequence finding tool.

I'm not a preset kinda guy... But the concept of arps can be really great for song finding / exploring (as suggested by krushing above)...

I've programmed many patches with arps in them; but I more typically use an arpeggio on other patches. e.g. I'll record the midi out from a keyboard that has an arp that sends midi and then record it (the midi) and then refine it if needed manually (e.g. I'll find a part that I think sound spot on and loop it). I find this great for finding the rhythm section / backbone of a track, especially when the arp is set to random.... Sure - I don't arp in everything; but I've started to gain a love for these things (used to hate the idea of something playing for me... now I understand the fun and power of random / unexpected outcomes)...

I haven't used arp's in my productions but i do like the sound of them and i'm thinking to use some. My issue is, i have arp presets and to me it feels like using an arp is cutting a corner to music production in the sense that, anyone can use that very same arp and have the very same sound literally in their production if by chance we downloaded the same preset pack. so my question is, is it good practise in music for producers to use arps?how do you feel about them?

Arpeggiations are definitely not a way of cutting corners during production. A good arp can add value to a production and even make it unique. I do not suggest using preset arps but you could try sequencing your own one.

Here is an example of an arp I done in a few minutes! I have added some side-chaining and some percussion just to give the feel of it being in a track. The preset I used was from the factory bank of Sylenth1 and is called 'The source':

arp_example.png

View attachment arp_example.mp3

I live by arpeggios, them shits the key to LIFE. Whenever I improvise, arpeggios are allIlll I fuxwit. Just came from a lesson where we studied how to play over changes with arps. Don't know what the threadstarter worried about. Why you scurred, arpeggios ain't nothin' but chords and intervals played melodically? When I first learned arps it was like the music GODDESS handed me the keys to the ****. Now my melodies on fleek, no more "how do I make melodies". I fux that ***** with impunity-word to Coltrane and Grant Green. Cutting corners- wtf? Thats like a baker wondering if using flour is "cutting corners". The music GODDESS created arps for you....and me. Embrace the arps, MY NEGUS! Take advantage.

Last edited:
Arp's have a horrible habit of turning musical mechanical. Preset arps offer you limited control and it is even worse if you are new to it.

However, all is not lost!

Here are some things I have found that may help you:

Learn Major, Minor and Other Scales - Will help you to play arp's manually

Use A Variety Of Velocity - This will remove the symmetry from the music and give it a more spontaneous feel.

Arrangement - Change the placement of the few of the notes

32 Bar Arps - A 4 Bar or 8 Bar Arp will turn your music mechanical in the blink of an eye. Expand on your loops and make your arps a little complex.

You may already know this, who knows but this is just some things from personal experience, I hope it helps you.

That's an awesome post. I'm glad someone brought it up.

In addition to arps, i've heard many presets that are almost entire beats in 4 bar loops. like wtf..?

No one is going to sit and listen to an arp by itself though, so as long as the resultant beat/song is maintaining interest in the listener, it's fine to use them. If someone is great at sequencing drums and runs an arp in the background, great. But they better know their music theory well enough to be able to combine the arp w/ other instruments. Or be able to sequence the arp well.

Although arp presets are cheap & simple ways to get a melody, it still takes skill to pull off using them effectively.

With that being said, I don't think I've ever used an arp preset in a song lol. No need once you know music theory :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Back