Question: Kendrick Lamar's "Dying of Thirst" drum pattern

K

KHz Wilkerson

could someone explain this? is this a muted snare in this pattern?:hmmm:

I'm assuming you mean the "Sing About Me" portion?
Thats a rimshot sound, on alot of kits you can find a sound like that on C#1.

In the second portion, I think it's just a few drum loops on top of each other, the "muted" sound your hearing is the kickdrums/maybe toms being HPF'ed so they don't have the low-end.

the 2nd portion is RIDICULOUS. i'm saying to myself How is this guy doing this?

the 2nd portion is RIDICULOUS. i'm saying to myself How is this guy doing this?

It's really not that complicated a drum pattern, it's just the way he's picked his loops/samples in order to create that rhythm.

If you want to try to emulate that, go find some of hip-hop's most popular acoustic breaks, try mixing them together while re-arranging; I promise you you can sound like this easy.

The most magical production usually relies on the smallest of tricks/sleight of hand in order to appear more complicated than it actually is; never forget that!

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Here you go...ten seconds on who sampled who. First you got this one...

Kendrick Lamar's Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst sample of Al Green's I'm Glad You're Mine | WhoSampled

I'm sure once you look at that you can tell where the rest of the drums can be added?

It's really not that complicated a drum pattern, it's just the way he's picked his loops/samples in order to create that rhythm.

If you want to try to emulate that, go find some of hip-hop's most popular acoustic breaks, try mixing them together while re-arranging; I promise you you can sound like this easy.

The most magical production usually relies on the smallest of tricks/sleight of hand in order to appear more complicated than it actually is; never forget that!

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Here you go...ten seconds on who sampled who. First you got this one...

Kendrick Lamar's Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst sample of Al Green's I'm Glad You're Mine | WhoSampled

I'm sure once you look at that you can tell where the rest of the drums can be added?

yeah, i was looking at that yesterday in disbelief...one of the oldest tricks (in my books). thanks for the tip!
p.s.
btw, i get the production in Sing About Me, but they didn't say where Sounwave (i presume) got the drum loop of Dying of Thirst. just trying to get a better understanding i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, i was looking at that yesterday in disbelief...one of the oldest tricks (in my books). thanks for the tip!
p.s.
btw, i get the production in Sing About Me, but they didn't say where Sounwave (i presume) got the drum loop of Dying of Thirst. just trying to get a better understanding i guess.

Pretty sure the drum loop in question is from the sample I posted along with an added kick drum pattern...although it isn't a straight loop. I could be wrong(you can't really ever be certain without asking the producer himself) but seeing how he sampled from this track already it would make sense.

Back