Question about tuning...

Villainaire

I use FL7 and I assume that all the drums are tuned to C. I always assumed that meant the song had to be in C.

So basically I'm an idiot who makes every beat in the key of C.

If I make a beat in a different key... will someone who really understands music theory be like... "Damn, that's outta key!"

I know this is weird, but input would be appreciated

Yup,
Lando

What the hell? If your talkin about the melody then you can and should make beats in different keys, if your talkin about the drums then I dont know what you mean, cuz the drums arent supposed to play a melody and they aint usually "tuned" to any key

Drums don't have a key mate (or rarely/not noticable, like floor toms.) How do you think bands with a 5 piece drumkit stay in key?

If a drum sound is more than random noise, it can be perceived as having a pitch (=key). It can therefore be out of key. Live drummers routinely tune their bass drums and toms to stay in key with the rest of the band. You don't have to pitch the drums to the note C when playing in the key of C, just gotta make them fit.

In FL, a sample is automatically placed on "C" for MIDI purposes, FL doesn't analyze which pitch the sample really has, you'll have to do that yourself.

on the contrary, drummers "tune" their drums to tighten and loosen the release of the sound and the physical bounce of the stick against the drum. it does change the pitch of the drum, but not to stay in tune, otherwise you'd need 12 toms to stay in tune with the band ;) But yeah I guess you're right, drums do have a pitch, but it doesn't really make a difference cause of the nature of the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back