Question about Sidechaining.

HISH

Hello all,

I work in LPX and have a basic question that will probably get answered rather quickly. Should I worry about how many instruments I send to one specific sidechain track? Is there a "limit" to how many instruments you can send? I ask because I worry that adding too many might cause issues with instruments clashing (therefore muddying the general sound), especially those that share similar frequencies. Would a solution be to create yet another individual sidechain track where I can route other instruments?

Thank you for your time!

No in lots of EDM music every instrument in the track is side chained to the mix.

You should never look at turning something down as a possibility of ruining your mix. If you can get away with turning down (side chaining) one element without ruining the groove of your mix and its overall feel, then do it till you cant anymore. Being subtractive without ruining your groove or feel is only helping you. Once you start side chaining things and your track losing the initial feel then stop.

It all just comes down to one thing, groove. I hate getting answers like this when I ask question but in scenarios like this when I'm answering it just reminds me that its the only true thing there is : If it works it works, you just gotta try it.

But the short answer to your question is that its ok to send as many instruments as you want to a single side chain trigger.

That's not a problem, as you probably mix the sounds before they reach the sidechain channel and therefore clean up any potential muddyness. The only reason you would want to use more than one sidechain channel would be because you want/need more than one sidechain shape.

Though I don't use this approach since it would screw up my lovely routing setup in the mixer, but that's just me.

Thanks guys!

That makes sense too, steffeeh. I do mix and clean the sounds before the sidechain is added.

Thanks for the input.

Back