Question About Scales (Tryna teach myself)

D

DaKillaB

whats good, i'm currently in the process of teaching myself the piano,
i've been using this website so far, and i was a bit confused

i just learned the Major Scales and right now, i'm on the Natural minor scales, the websites given me this formula:
whole step, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step,

the websites saying that this is in the Aeolian mode, using that formula, the websites tellin me that the C Natural scale consists of: A B C D E F G

is that right?

thats the website:
http://www.free-online-piano-lessons.com/piano-scales-major-natural-minor.html

scroll down to where it says Natural Minor

Peace!

The scale A B C D E F G is the A minor scale, which is the parallel minor scale to c major - because it consists of the same tones. Its structure is whole step from A to B, half step from B to C, whole step from C to D, whole step from D to E, half step from E to F, whole step from F to G.

DaKillaB said:
whats good, i'm currently in the process of teaching myself the piano,
i've been using this website so far, and i was a bit confused

i just learned the Major Scales and right now, i'm on the Natural minor scales, the websites given me this formula:
whole step, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step,

the websites saying that this is in the Aeolian mode, using that formula, the websites tellin me that the C Natural scale consists of: A B C D E F G

is that right?

thats the website:
http://www.free-online-piano-lessons.com/piano-scales-major-natural-minor.html

scroll down to where it says Natural Minor

Peace!

The Aeolian mode is all the white notes from A-A yes. The CMaj scale also uses these notes, but it starts on C, the patterns of tones and semi-tones are different though. Start the Major scale on A and you have 3 sharps, C#, F# and G#.

You can build other modes from the CMaj scale using all the white notes, D-D gives you the Dorian mode, E-E Phrygian, F-F Lydian, G-G Mixolydian, B-B Locrian, all of which have a different pattern of tones and semi-tones, even though they use the same notes as the CMaj scale, they sound totally different because of the intervals. It's these intervals you need to bare in mind and look at the patterns of tones and semi-tones.

Back