question about scales

HYPE [S-GANG]

I guess this question will sound really stupid, but i have to ask it: If a song uses only white keys for melody, how do u know is that song written in C major or A minor?

One of my teachers taught me that the last note of a song is the usually the key of the song. So if the song is in A minor most likely the last note of the melody is an A.

The last note can be a great clue, but it is where the song is seeking to "resolve."

On the white keys, it could be C major (Ionian mode) or it could be A minor (Aeolian mode).

Or it could be <insert the other modes>

It depends on the tonal center.

MadTiger3000 said:
The last note can be a great clue, but it is where the song is seeking to "resolve."

On the white keys, it could be C major (Ionian mode) or it could be A minor (Aeolian mode).

Or it could be <insert the other modes>

It depends on the tonal center.

I agree also. It wouldnt hurt to study a bit of ear training. Once u are proficient enough you should be able to tell by the chords cause certain chords give off a vibe.

Ya After playing live for about 5 years it is just second nature now. You can tell by the melody and chord progression....

njm255 said:
One of my teachers taught me that the last note of a song is the usually the key of the song. So if the song is in A minor most likely the last note of the melody is an A.

i was lead to believe that the first note determines the scale/mode

Find a chord (usually in the bass) on the tonic (1st note of the scale) and see if it's major or minor. That'll be your clue, or rather, your definitive answer.

Last edited:
Back