A question about rhythm and pulse

shelyksit

Whats up everyone. I'm having a hard time grasping the idea of rhythm. More so what establishes the rhythm in a song. For example Loveeeee Song by Rhianna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2B_TqEYni4 I just happen to be listening to this song when I realized that I was bobbing my head, but not really along with anything apparent other than the tempo. In some songs the pulse is easily recognized but some songs seem to have no pulse at all. Do all songs need an established pulse driven by a particular instrument and if so what drives the rhythm in this song? Thanks guys

You've actually got it pretty accurately, shelyksit. It does get a bit confusing with multiple (and often changing) terminology. Pulse is the feeling of movement in time in its simplest form, and in a certain meter (time signature/way of counting). Rhythm can be, and is, played by any instrument, but what we often think of as the main rhythm of a song is usually played by the drums, sometimes the drums and bass (also known as "the groove"). A lot of folks call this the beat (which in itself is a musical misnomer, and that's been made even more confusing now that almost everybody, since the 90's at least, calls instrumental musical tracks "beats").

So, "the beat" is played by drums and other rhythm section instruments, with a certain pulse (overall rhythmic feel that can be counted a certain way, called meter), which is at a certain tempo (or speed, measured in BPM, or Beats Per Minute). And this is _all_ rhythm, as any instrument that plays notes in succession of varying lengths and in repeating patterns can play rhythms, but the main rhythm is the one we call the groove. But where you bob your head is actually more properly called the pulse. Clear as mud???

GJ

Thanks rhythmgj. I want to have a clear understanding of what techniques create certain moods and reactions. Almost like building blocks I can piece together to create the type of song I want at will. I dont want to copy current producers but have a true understanding of the science behind music. Are there any books that you recommend that can give that type of understanding. I want to learn to program drums and create moods using different instruments. Thank you

Hmm...

Welly-well well... There are lots of books and materials out there, and today, many, many resources for learning basic music theory, instrumentation, arrangement and orchestration, Cognitive Musicology, etc., etc. And the great news is that you don't need a phd to learn what you need to, to do great work.

The problem is that there are no short-cuts. The things you want to know, to create what you want, come with time, experience, and study. So there's no single book or books I can suggest that will give you everything. Can you be more specific?

GJ

I know basic music theory. It's like I know how to talk but not express meaning with the words. for example. "love, steak and I" are words. "I love steak" means something. I want something that shows what vibe or emotion will be expressed by putting certain chords in a certain sequence. I want an arsenal of techniques to create the songs I want when I want. Probably too much to ask for.

I would suggest listening to a lot of music. If you are doing that now, I'd only add "do it more."

There are some commonalities in good song-writing that express themselves with lots of listening (think of that as adding to your "word vocabulary" for music, just like reading and using a dictionary and a thesaurus add to your actual vocabulary).

I used to teach a lot of song-writer's workshops, and I made a chart/template with a bunch (maybe 15 or 20) of the most common chord progressions. There's a reason they get used, and it's not because people don't have original ideas. It is because they work, and they have become the quickest way to express similar themes across years and even genres.

So again, listen a lot. And buy lots of music (stuff you might not necessarily find on-line). I'm going to a record show tomorrow!

GJ

Last edited:
Whats up everyone. I'm having a hard time grasping the idea of rhythm. More so what establishes the rhythm in a song. For example Loveeeee Song by Rhianna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2B_TqEYni4 I just happen to be listening to this song when I realized that I was bobbing my head, but not really along with anything apparent other than the tempo. In some songs the pulse is easily recognized but some songs seem to have no pulse at all. Do all songs need an established pulse driven by a particular instrument and if so what drives the rhythm in this song? Thanks guys

Rhythmgj's suggestion about listening to more music is a good one.

I mean, I can tell from you're post that for me to say that the definition of pulse,as I understand it is that it is constant and identical, probably will not satisfy your question. I tend to think of pulse as a heartbeat or that if you feel the pulse on your wrist--that's pulse...it stays the same. Rhythm (to me) is the progression of the beat of the music, over time. It can stay the same or change.

Most pop music has a simple driving rhythm that is easy for just about everyone to stay with or understand and feel. To be nodding your head with the tempo of this song, i think youre doing exactly what everyone else is doing to this song. the rhythm is simple and easy to follow.

IMO, any instrument can drive the rhythm, but usually it is percussion instruments. Drums feel good man!:victory:

Back