Question About Melody & Harmony & Counter Harmonies

MastaMnd

I'm not sure if the title of this topic is accurate but I'll try to better explain here. I am pretty happy with my production nowadays. I have always been able to compose much better than I can flip a sample so I think I'm gonna keep doin' what I'm doing and run with it. One problem though. I think at times my music is lacking either complimentary melodies or maybe harmony. Like I can make a nice track w/ breakdowns ( ex. intro, different variations for each verse, bridge, outro and all that stuff). But I'm missing some other elements. I know this because when I mute instruments for variations, alot of times I run out of things to mute and end up variating the drums when I don't really want or need to. If I had another melody (counter melody) or maybe even another instrument layered or playing in the song, then I wouldn't run out of sounds to mute. Hope this makes sense. I'm not sure what to call it but I know I'm missing something. It's either a melody to compliment the main melody at certain points in the song or some kind of harmony or counter harmony. Any suggestions on this? Thanks in advance and keep makin' that fire everybody. The world is listening!

Take a listen if you get a chance.

www.myspace.com/mastamndbeats

Last edited:
Personally, I like them all in different ways. Bubble up is nice. I cant really think of anything else you could add that wouldnt clutter it up...everything sounds good to me...just keep working that creative muscle, take a break come back to it and listen for any gaps where you could drop a couple notes of a different instrument, if you cant, then u know you've placed the instruments in good positions for that jam. peace

Back