Question about heavy 808 kick

tedwickins

For those of you familiar with "get lit" by asap rocky
The 808 in that song is real heavy, ive yet to find an 808 as heavy as that, is it an 808 drop? or is it a few 808s layered ?
or does this maybe go into compression and EQ'ing and all of that?

Eq and leveling of the entire song can get you there. Not saying that's what they did, but an EQ on the master out can control alot of that. Doesn't sound bad, but isn't great in my book either. In all fairness, I heard it on youtube so quality was probably effected.

Would knock in a car tho.

Yeah in the car and headphones its just super heavy man, but at the same time the 808 hits smooth enuff and it doesnt make the other sounds all fuzzy if you get what im saying.

But thank you man, i kinda figured it would be something like that. Is that the only method you know of for a heavy heavy 808?

Only one I'd use to get it that smooth. It's all about finding the perfect freqs of the song and boosting/lowering/cutting at the right places. Could be a well placed LP and HP filter on just the sub as well to give it it's own space.

Do you know of any good tutorials on that stuff? or am i gonna have to venture into the world of youtube myself?
no biggie if you dont

Edit: On the frequencies and the boosting, lowering and cutting that is

Last edited:
True that, im a beginner, but im learning everyday, thanks for pointing me in the right direction man, really appreciate it

Yo man,
you need to hipass all your layers (hats, snares, claps, leads etc etc...), to make space for your sub 808 kick. What you want is everything under approx 100hz to be clean, and nothing but the kick. If you're lowpassing your 808 kickdrum (to use it for sub bass and only that), you can sidechain compress your kick with your 808 subbass/kick. Use your analyzer to see where your kicks got their "playground".
Hope this helps!

thank you so much man, i really appreciate that, yeah im starting to hear alot about these hipass lowpass filters, i need to look more into that
compression as well, considering i use the FL presets for compression haha!:shame:

Hey its all good man, im better off learning myself, thank you for the right direction..
N have fun with logic man, i plan on getting that when i get a mac, i like apple products

Were looking at your soundcloud profile and listened to some of your tunes! Ideas are all good, but you sure need a new drumkit. Try to download a TR-808 kit or something, and try to get more punch to the snares. You can also check out some tutorials on trap music, its got many similarities to what you're looking for

Last edited:
Yeah im not trying to make trap beats but theres definitely a little influence taken from it. I have well over 1000 drum samples i think my problem is more in the layer, eq and compression

After choosing the right sample, compression is probably the most important thing when it comes to 808's. That song doesn't really seem like it is compressed much, tbh. Just a nice clean sub hit. Check out my pack, I have a multisampled hit that sounds real similar. Only have Ableton Live instrument in it, but have all the samples that you can map out yourself in FL.

I don't have experience with FL but all compressors are pretty much the same. Some key things to google (I'm too tired for the long explanation, sorry) are parallel compression, or New York compression. there are a ton of good video tutorials out there on the technique. Also, you can pick up something called a transient shaper. It's essentially the same thing as a compressor but is a bit more easy to understand. I personally like the one from a company called SPL.

Man basically just have the 808 a db or two under the kick, HP everything that doesnt need any bass/low mid freqs, and LP the kick/bass. Its all about space in the song to get 808s to hit hard and mixing/"mastering"

Back