Question about electronic music studying

ferez21

Hi,
This is my first thread here, hope i'm in the right forum for my question.

So, I was wondering - Does any of the big artists went to any kind of music studying in order to develop themselves? or do they all self-taught? lets take the current big names in the industry, for example: Skrillex, Deadmau5 (feel free to add artists).

Last edited:
No, but would it hurt you to learn it?

Also, do people listen to any other dance music OTHER than Deadmau5 and Skrillex? I can generally gauge if a discussion on dance music (when the f**k did it become "EDM", and when did this acronym become the signifier for "techno for people who don't actually like techno"?) is even worth having with someone if these two artists are the first to come out their mouths.

No, but would it hurt you to learn it?

Also, do people listen to any other dance music OTHER than Deadmau5 and Skrillex? I can generally gauge if a discussion on dance music (when the f**k did it become "EDM", and when did this acronym become the signifier for "techno for people who don't actually like techno"?) is even worth having with someone if these two artists are the first to come out their mouths.

shut the fuk up you pompous bish, I don't like snobs. Threadstarter asked a innocent question and you're being lil dickhole about it gtfo

Anyways @TS, I'm not sure if they went to school for it, all I know is that it began with DJ's in midwest USA (Chicago and Detroit mostly). They played a huge variety of music, and over time, they developed a knack for knowing what people liked, and it seems that the general public can vouch for that these days.

I'm not sure if DEADMAU5 and skrillex learnt it in school, alot of them hang out with EDM producers, and they all share their secrets with each other.

One thing I've noticed about EDM artists is that they really do love it. They are perfectly fine telling people their producing secrets, so I'm sure they all learnt from one another. It's an awesome genre. I'm only just getting into it myself too, great people there, except for the second poster. He's the first electronic dickhole i've met.

I'm not sure if DEADMAU5 and skrillex learnt it in school, alot of them hang out with EDM producers, and they all share their secrets with each other.

One thing I've noticed about EDM artists is that they really do love it. They are perfectly fine telling people their producing secrets, so I'm sure they all learnt from one another. It's an awesome genre. I'm only just getting into it myself too, great people there, except for the second poster. He's the first electronic dickhole i've met.

You act like this is a novel concept, like all the generations of electronic artists before were hole'd up in their caves keeping their techniques secret.

Actually, i know that these two are quite trendy nowadays, but i'm listening to deadmau5' music since 2005, and genuinely like his work.
To go further, his label Mau5trap is featuring some very talented artists like James Njie & Tom Starr.

So, i just wondered if any of the famous artists (and i mentioned you can add more names) have studiedin a formal institute or just self-taught.

Will it hurt to learn? It won't hurt, but it's currently big money for me, and if most of the chances that these studies won't give me a serious improvement in the field, i'd rather pass it.

Puppet,

So, you're saying that they started as DJ's and gradually learned what the people like. ok, i can understand the concept, but we are talking about a profession that involves tons of theory and technique, even if you're very talented

Last edited:
You act like this is a novel concept, like all the generations of electronic artists before were hole'd up in their caves keeping their techniques secret.

I come from a hip hop background, producers don't share that much in that realm (from my experience) unless you're in their 'crew' or you return a favour of some sort.

@ferez I don't know if engineering school teaches EDM.

From what I can tell, skrillex didn't go to any audio school. Just was constantly doing music.

From First to Last (2004–07)
In 2004, Moore contacted Matt Good of From First to Last about playing guitar for the band on their debut album. After flying out to Georgia, Moore was heard singing by three studio producers, Derrick Thomas, Eric Dale, and McHale Butler, and was then made lead singer, with Good playing guitar. In June 2004, Epitaph Records released the band's first full-length record with their new bandmate, Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has a Body Count. After performing on several successful tours, two being the Vans Warped Tour and Dead by Dawn tour, they began recording their second album, Heroine with producer Ross Robinson. The album was released in March 2006 on Epitaph. With high record sales once again, the band found themselves part of many successful tours, until Moore started suffering vocal problems, causing the band to resign from several tours. After going through a successful vocal surgical procedure, Moore informed the band he would be permanently resigning to work on a solo career. FFTL's last show performed with Moore was in their hometown of Orlando at The House of Blues while touring with Atreyu.
Solo career (2007–present)

Sonny Moore in 2008.
Moore announced he had left From First to Last to pursue a solo career. He then launched a Myspace page displaying three demos ("Signal", "Equinox", and "Glow Worm"). This led to Moore's first performance since his leaving From First to Last. On April 7, 2007, alongside harpist Carol Robbins, Moore played several original songs at a local art building.
After months of releasing demos via Myspace, Moore played on the Team Sleep Tour with a full band. The tour also featured supporting acts Monster in the Machine and Strata. Moore made several demo CDs available on this tour, limited to about 30 per show. These CDs were tour exclusive, and were packaged in "baby blue envelopes", each with a unique drawing by Moore or bandmate.
In February 2008, Alternative Press Magazine announced the second annual AP Tour, with All Time Low, The Rocket Summer, The Matches, and Forever the Sickest Kids, as well as Sonny Moore. The tour started in Houston, Texas on March 14 and went through North America, ending in Cleveland, Ohio on May 2, with the majority of the shows being sold out. All bands playing the tour would be featured on the cover of Alternative Press Magazine's annual 100 Bands You Need to Know special, and would be interviewed on the Alternative Press Podcast. During this tour Moore's line-up consisted of Sean Friday on drums, Christopher Null on guitar, and Aaron Rothe on keyboards.
On April 7, 2009, he released Gypsyhook EP, a digital EP, which featured three songs and four remixes. Also included was a Japanese version of "Mora" entitled "海水" ("Kaisui"). Physical copies of the EP were available at his shows. After going on tour with Innerpartysystem and Paper Route and opening for Chiodos on their European tour, Moore performed at Bamboozle on May 2. He performed on Bamboozle Left's Saints and Sinners stage on April 4. He toured with Hollywood Undead in April 2009 performing under the band name Sonny and the Blood Monkeys, with Chris Null (electric guitar), Sean Friday (drums, percussion & beats) and Aaron Rothe (keyboards, synthesizers, programming & turntables)
Although no official statement has been given regarding the album, Moore has stated that Bells will no longer be released.
Production career

Skrillex performing live at the 2011 Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest.
In 2008, Moore began producing and performing under the alias Skrillex at clubs in the Los Angeles area.[citation needed] Previously, he had been known on the Internet as Twipz.[citation needed] On June 7, 2010, Moore released his official Skrillex debut EP, My Name is Skrillex as a free download.[14]
Moore provided programming and vocals for UK metalcore band Bring Me the Horizon on their third studio album, There Is a Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven, Let's Keep It a Secret.[15] Later in the year, Sonny began a nationwide tour with Deadmau5 after being signed to mau5trap recordings and released his second EP, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites.
Moore kicked off the "Project Blue Book Tour" in 2011 with support from Porter Robinson, Tommy Lee and DJ Aero as well as appearances from Sofia Toufa for a new song titled "Bring out the Devil." Skrillex unveiled several new songs on this tour including "First Of The Year" (formerly known as "Equinox"), "Reptile", and "Cinema" (remix of a Benny Benassi track). "Reptile" was featured in the TV commercial for Mortal Kombat 9, and "First of the Year (Equinox)" is featured on his follow up EP and remix companion to Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, titled More Monsters and Sprites.

I don't know too much about Skrill and Deadmau5 aside from liking their music in general. Music is just their passion they got in to it because they loved it and it took off... I know Skrillex was in a hardcore group as the vocalist and DeadMau5 used to license music for other media and stuff like that...

Interview w/ Deadmau5 might be helpful... -- don't have 20 posts though
youtube.com/watch?v=Zeb3dGbhvTM

But to get more on point, Yes totally if you can afford it. You just have to become really passionate about the process and do it every free minute :D

Last edited:
I think you could learn just as much by yourself if you really wanted to. Everything that a school can teach you, you can learn by buying books or studying stuff online. There is tons of resources out there if you really want to learn. Yes you can spend thousands of dollars going to a school to learn but I think your better off buying gear and just working at it and learning as much as you can as you go along.

Get a copy of the "Dance Music Manual" ISBN: 978-0-240-52107-7; it will open your eyes, along with a copy of "Unlocking the groove" by Mark J Butler.

bandcoach,

do you think these books are still relevant and practical for today's EDM scene?

Last edited:
Definitely - I just took delivery of the Dance music Manual and I gave the Butler book a thorough reading last term riding on the bus and train - Butler is much heavier going for the theory challenged but is an excellent introduction to the concepts underlying much of dance music today, the DMM is a great introduction with just enough theory to steer you in the right direction along with great chunks of analysis to show you how the pros do it too......

Back