question about drums/kicks

I use FL to make beats and was wondering when making my kick pattern do they kicks go up in down on keys like bass or do they stay on the same note?

Depends on what you wanna do & whether you have an 808 or bassline accompanying/layered with it. There is no rules....

Lol well if you've eveer made a beat.... It all depends on wht/how ur usin it and the sound yr tryna achieve. i leave my kick the same pitch 99.9% of the time but thats me. it may sound out of tune wit yo bassline or 808. if yu've ever layered a kick & 808 u gotta filter. im not gona write a book about it how bout u jus try it out........

I change the pitch of my kicks slightly to match the bass line. This is one of my tricks. You need a very good ear to be able to do it the right way. With my beats I marry the kicks and the bass together so they kinda act like one instrument instead of two separate instruments.

You might also want to change the pitch only one time- when selecting drum sample so it fits the root note. Sometimes you want to pitch to be dynamic, changing along chords or bass notes.
If you want to know how to do it technically, search for "tuning kick in fl" on youtube and watch very first video (the one from nfxbeats)

Back