quantize

S

sasson

Okay check this out... i usually use the same quantize at (1/16) and thats sometimes boring for drums. i want my drums to double tripple sort of like southern producers do on alot of tracks... i have heard alot of folks do this and i wanted to know if that had anything to do with the swing quantize...

i hope i am asking this question right but if you can help please reply...

yes and so

Some people use the Quantize for it,
1/32, 1/16 trip
1/32 trip etc

some of us dont quantize at all we just play it out

i understand that playing it out paret but how do you get it to speed up and slow down... do you repeatedly hit the pad or key or do you have a setting which you could edit...

Slow it down or speed it up (kinda self explainitory) :)

you can Do a Tempo Change or Manually just play it Slower and faster in some parts

Sasson,

I think your concern is more about the tempo than swing.

The idea is to play the hi hats with a much quicker rhythm than the kick and snare. So your kick and snare are playing relatively slow at 60 or so bpm while your hi hats appear to be playing at a much faster tempo(double time) because of the 16th note triplets, 32nd notes or 32nd note triplets like Cyko mentioned.

Next time you listen to one of those southern style tracks, take note of how slow the kick and snare are playing compared to the hi hats.

i feel yo...i appreciate the info.... im gonna work on it when i get a chance...

Don`t quantize man.

An excess of quantization derives on rigid sound.

Record on realtime. If the notes are too fast like a 1/16 arppegio, slow down the tempo while you`re recording and then come back.

Or, if you insist on quantization, after the recording, go to edit mode, and change a little bit the start time of each note sentence.

perfect timing, is so bad as irregular timing. A drummer, can`t be perfect when playing a hi hat, or kicking the kick. There are small innacuraccies, sometimes even at microscopic levels, that gives to each note a special character. One of the biggest sensations that you experiment, when listen acoustic and electronic produced music, is the human touch to the instruments.

Those small imperfections, have a lot of weight on the song`s global properties.

If a hi hat goes like

1-1-240
1-2-240
1-3-240
1-4-240

go to edit mode and do this

1-1-242
1-2-247
1-3-241
1-4-245

Boring, uh??? Try to don`t repeat exactly the same value. You can go from a range, for example, of 235-260, you have 25 values to choose.

A little bit of random, is good on a world of boring perfection.

Also, you can try adding swing effect to some of the tracks. There are some cool values of swingin´, like 57%, 63, 67%.

Too much quantization, makes your music
too predictable.

okay i think that makes alot of sense i was afraid of not quantizing it that it would be off too much but your right i can go into the edit mode and move a snare or hi hat at will... i appreciate the help from all you cats...

one

Back