putting beats together

xtrordinare

ok, so im having a big problem putting a beat together, putting melodies together...when i hear a beat in my head, ill only hear it as one sound, so im having a problem putting other sounds to go into the beat. i dont know why im stuck with this, but if theres anybody with tips so i can fix this, please let me know
peace

Last edited:
Check it

Peep this. This skill takes time to develop. I was the same way at one time but now when I hear a melody in my head I start building all the other sounds that go with. There was a time I couln't lay dow any of the melodys in my head but im getting much better at it. Keep trying. If your passion is music you will eventualy figure it out.

I don't know any tips that could help. I mean if you only hear 1 melody then.... that sucks. I guess you could sit with a diff intrument and fumble around with notes in the same key. I mean no way to fail if its all in the same key your bound to stumble on something.

well if nothing else, if you hear one melody in your head, put it down...and figure out what instuments you can assign to that part. the thing that you think of when you try to play back a song is its hook- and most emphasized line...get the idea down and then just experiment...ask yourself what other lines can go with it. hope this helped

=Lodger=

Try applying my answer from this post.

When writing the tune, try to think of it in terms of these 5 parts:

Foundation: Drums & bass
Rhythm: Instruments countering the foundation
Lead: Singer or lead instrument
Fills: Fills between lead lines
Pad: Long sustaining notes

These were listed as the 5 aspects of a mix in a mixing book I have, but I apply it to song structure and arrangement as well.

If you're working with samples, you can start with it, then add the other parts as necessary. I play 99% of my stuff and build most songs in the order listed above, and each previous part inspires the next. So, though you may only be hearing one part at a time, you can record that part and play it back for inspiration. Hopefully, hearing that initial part will stimulate additional ideas. You can use the above list to guide those ideas.

Its not a bad thing trust me...your at a good stage trust me...

your at the stage where its time to decide if producing is for you or not...remember once you get past this stage...there is no turning back...music will never be the same as you know it...

when you start making music...you will hear music thats already been made alot differently...

so you only hear 1 melody? cool beans...now its time to use your gear and put that melody down as best as possible...if you dont get it down exactly as you wanted it...just build off of that...

some people hear music better when the drum patterns are built soooo...try buildin a simple drum pattern and try again...

if that doesnt work...some producers are bass led...try making a bassline that is moving and energetic and build around that...

or try a sample to build around....production is all about what you build off of...

every producer is different and wil argue whats the best to build around...

me personally...I build around a melody...therefore people always praise my melodies...but dont get it twisted I have bangin drums and sometimes a bassline(sometimes I ride the bass directly under the drums)

but hey thats the skinny from me...holla at me

something I find handy is laying down the basic beats and maybe baseline and then whisltling or humming the melody, lead, harmonies etc. into something like cubsae with a mic or just into a voicerecorder/dictaphone.

I then build up the different parts and try out various sounds to see what fits best

best of luck, and don't get stressed, it'll all get easier the more practice you get,

Billy

Its weird because I here a billion counter melodies in my head... but its hell when it comes to laying them down....

best of luck thou man everything comes together in time...

thanks everybody for yo help, im still practicing, tryin to do it, hopefully ill get past this, but its kinda gettin to me

Back