Professional-Quality Drums

Spud388

Hey guys. I've been producing about a year now, and I've come a long way thanks largely to help from you all. But a problem I've been noticing lately (at least I can hear it now) is that I have some terrible-sounding drums I'm working with.

I'm reaching out to you guys for advice: where should I go to find really high-end drum sounds for at least a reasonable price (if not free)? Where do you guys get your drum hits from?

P.S. I'm really interested in the Rare Drums Vol. 1-5 Library. Anyone know where I can get that?

dude the percussive part of a beat is one of the most important elements. its the rythem the vibe, drums are hard. if they were easy good producers would come a dime a dozen. you can make a hit with basically just drums if your rythem is tight and you use the right percussive elements just listen to ameries- 1 thing. and maybe beyonces- ring the alarm (maybe) but listen to the first song an youll see. good drums come from everywhere, software, downloaded kits, hardware, samples, even recorded noises, just great eq and the right effects/ dynamics. Practice, Practice, research and learn. i say reading is just as important as anything else. Listen/learn/ experiment

Good drums are simple, i used to over think it for years..

Formula = Good Source Samples, Eq, learn frequencies and where each drum hit should sit, layer and learn ADSR and how it applies to drums. Once you master those it's over, drums will be tight!

Last edited:
I use a mix of drum machine sounds, live/acoustic kits and breaks. If you want quality sounds for free then breaks are a great place to start:

Drum & Bass / Hip Hop Breaks (Part 1) - YouTube

I think you will probably have to pay for any decent sounds though -percusive, harmonic or melodic... but maybe thats just me -I bought a decent libary years ago and i've been using it ever since... i'll upgrade it when my music outgrows it. I'm not into trawling the internet trying to get something for nothing when I could be creating.

i like your track... but way too much reverb on the drums

the drum sounds don't sound that bad to me (apart from all the reverb) they aren't great but be careful of thinking that your kit or your sounds are letting you down when actually you just need to work at it.

Yea, you have to be careful with verb, you will lose the attack of your drums. Of course bussing them to an aux efx channel helps a lot but to much verb on anything and you'll lose a lot of the attack..

Back