Professional producers

1st time i ever heard of professionally made loops, kits, etc was an article about producers for music and film & tv, commercials, etc...coming from the world of finding, sampling and then editing the samples (in the eps) it seemed weird to me. but that was back in the day.

it's one form of sound design. like anything, they're not all created equal, but i've seen some 'professional' producers (both in and outside hip hop and music) sound collections and they have some of the same stuff a lot of people have.

Everyone i've ever met owned some sound kits and packs..the trick is making them your own,tweaking em to give em that sound your looking for

Yes. There's not any special 'secret' sample libraries for professional producers.

A professional producer would just mean they are getting money from what they are doing, there's no difference otherwise.

what do you mean for "professional"???
'Cause, the idea I have, is that a professional producer is someone who has music production as his profession. He eats with music production.

umbrella's beat was from an apple loop. Rowland's track from polow had drums from a sample cd so yes they do. Any intelligent, hungry producer will utilize all of his resources.

Stay Fresh said:
Do professional producers buy drum loops, sound loops, and drum kits some one else made.
I think everybody that is serious about making music is a pro so me personally I have a million sounds some from major producers and some I make. It depends on you and what you want.

Producers will use different things depending on their skill level. If a producer cant make beats or sounds from scratch then they will use loops or pre made instruments etc. Some producers cant play instruments so they are pretty much bounded to using loops.

salvia said:
Producers will use different things depending on their skill level. If a producer cant make beats or sounds from scratch then they will use loops or pre made instruments etc. Some producers cant play instruments so they are pretty much bounded to using loops.

Who told you that crap.I know of producers who just like loops
and it has nothing to do with if he can make a beat.

breal said:
Who told you that crap.I know of producers who just like loops
and it has nothing to do with if he can make a beat.

Loops are an easy way out of making music yourself......but it is true that a person can be very successful if they just know what sounds good.....in that way you can just use loops and never have to bother with actually playing music, but in my opinion thats mixing and matching rather than actually being a musician. The best way is to have both the musiianship and know what sounds good....very few people do though.

If you don't know how to make music without loops you ain't got a chance in the end. Technically speaking you're not making music, your just placing readymade stuff together. That is not a producers, and sure as hell no musician.
There's a difference between producer and beatmaker just so the ignorant of you know. Just because you make beats doesn't make you a producer at all. People that makes beat tend to call themselfs producer for some reason. When in fact they're not even close to being one.
The producer is responsible for the overall feel, sound, direction and so forth of the track or entire album. Knows music, knows what sounds good, what's to become hot and not, understands that an album needs balance, a track needs a hook or three (hook as in its original meaning...not a chorus which has been named a hook nowadays)
I think you catch my drift in terms of what a beatmaker is oppose to a producer.
That said, I think alot of industry folks uses pro sample cd's. It would be a waste of a great resource if they didn't. Like someone else here said: They mold the sound to become their own sound.

Nito_Prod said:
If you don't know how to make music without loops you ain't got a chance in the end. Technically speaking you're not making music, your just placing readymade stuff together. That is not a producers, and sure as hell no musician.
There's a difference between producer and beatmaker just so the ignorant of you know. Just because you make beats doesn't make you a producer at all. People that makes beat tend to call themselfs producer for some reason. When in fact they're not even close to being one.
The producer is responsible for the overall feel, sound, direction and so forth of the track or entire album. Knows music, knows what sounds good, what's to become hot and not, understands that an album needs balance, a track needs a hook or three (hook as in its original meaning...not a chorus which has been named a hook nowadays)
I think you catch my drift in terms of what a beatmaker is oppose to a producer.
That said, I think alot of industry folks uses pro sample cd's. It would be a waste of a great resource if they didn't. Like someone else here said: They mold the sound to become their own sound.

I agree with you on a few points in there but it seems a little wishy washy if you ask me. Pros use loops all the time, Portishead still uses them, herbie handcock use them but both of them are musicians. Producers in a hip hop sense once upon a time, based alot of their music off of a few very important drum breaks like the amend the president, amen break, and funky drummer. But since the mid-nineties to now it is almost taboo to use a familiar break (I say familiar cause if you can use it musically use it). BUT if someone finds a unused, catchy breakbeat or melody line or bass line, then use it. It just wont be popular with your beatmaking brethren. And to answer your question, yes PROFESSIONALS use sample CDs, I have witnessed it.

Last edited:
I think what the others have said about utilizing 'everything out there' holds true, especially or people whose livelyhood depends on it. Think about it - Timbaland goes CRAZY with sampling all the oldschool melodies, but he makes them his own (in a fashion :P). It's why I love Apple loops :) (thank you God for Logic Studio!)

Personally I think the best way at it though is to go outside with a good portable recording system and sample the world, you are never going to find more interesting sounds to sample than using contact microphones and binaural recordings - look at Star Wars, that guy's sound effects were legendary because he used his noggin to make something original

where do u think we get our sounds from? we sample, chop, tweak, compress, eq, layer ect. thats why the sounds seem diff. but u all have acess to them

Stay Fresh said:
Do professional producers buy drum loops, sound loops, and drum kits some one else made.

For starters there is no such thing as a "Professional Producer." Secondly Producers that are 'talented' and 'smart' usually make their own drum kits. Or they take them from keyboards and layer them with other instruments and add effects to them.

Nowadays you can get sued for using a kick that someone else has used. Thats why you have to make it sound different and layer it with some 808's.

Enndee said:
For starters there is no such thing as a "Professional Producer." .

What do you mean there is no such thing as a professional producer? Anyone that gets paid to do something is a professional its their profession. There is plenty of producers that get paid for producing thats a professional producer my friend.

Enndee said:
Secondly Producers that are 'talented' and 'smart' usually make their own drum kits. Or they take them from keyboards and layer them with other instruments and add effects to them..

Talented producers do make their own drum kits but they often come from breakbeats and loop cd's

Pure Hype Production said:
What do you mean there is no such thing as a professional producer? Anyone that gets paid to do something is a professional its their profession. There is plenty of producers that get paid for producing thats a professional producer my friend.
Dude no one is a professional producer. someone could easily be better than somone who is famous (which happens all the time, especially nowadays) and not be a unprofessional producer. Just because u can sell a beat dosen't mean ****. No one can perfect the art of music, its just something that comes from the mind. So since someone is making money for thei works your telling me that they are 'professionally creative?' Thats just not possible to be a pro at that. Every producer has a wack beat, a wack song, etc. etc. No one is perfect at what they do, no matter how good they are.

Talented producers do make their own drum kits but they often come from breakbeats and loop cd's.[/quote said:
Like I previously stated, you can get sued for using a kick that someone else has used. Therefore using break beats you can get sued. you have to layer and other do other things if your going to take from break beats. Unless you can just clear a breakbeat which most times is very hard to do since so many people have them... Especially if the artist is big.

Last edited:
Back