Producing Psy

_bogus_

Hello everybody.. im new here. Im Brazillian and I do produce Trance music. In the last months, I've been listening lots of Psy music (Astrix, 1200 Mics, Infected Mushroom, Eskimo, Yahel...) and I decided to produce Psy musics... I use FL Studio 5 for producing.. my main problem producing Psy Music is that I dunno how to do that many effects in the background. FL Studio doesn't have so much FX effects, and I've got some with a friend (if you know any good site to get that stuff, please post here). As that friend says, psy is an organizated mess... lots of effects in the background, and I tried, but I really dunno how exactly make this effects sounds good like professional producers do... all the help are welcome, thanks.

(If you wanna check out my work: http://www.fiberonline.com.br/bbox)

16th note bassline, tight, punchy drums, lots of layers of rythms....and the effects.

To get the effects you don't need much - a basic little synth sound, with panning, reverb and delay to make it sit in the mix will do nicely. You probably need at least ten of these little effects per track, but they are easy to make; just start with simple sounds and use those vst effects (or hardware fx of course!!) to make em sound.....weird!

hmm..

try to start with a solid texture ,a good crash and reverse crash , tight kick ,and electric bass . add all those gizmo sounds u need using as less effect as u can on tose tracks .try to make group channels that use separate fx such as 3d panners , reverb , phaser, delay and my personal favourite multi fx(5 -10 effects with sequencer ) . you need to create a spacey ,glitchy ,moving pattern that keeps changing it s own density through time and space .this sound pattern is your frontline,tight drums and stinging bassline is your base line , crash -reverse and flybys are steady every 8 -16 bars.time stretch,pitch shift,phase invert are good tools also/ intelligent manipulation of those parameters is the key to success

psy is best described as 'organised chaos'.

What jrom says is right - the sounds need to evolve and 'change their own destiny'. Filters, pitchshifters, distortion and of course diligent edits (little drops) will help achive this. Be careful with the reverse crash though - it can easily be overused (it DOES rock). Try reversing some other sounds to do the same thing...

_bogus_ said:
I decided to produce Psy musics... I use FL Studio 5 for producing..
http://www.fiberonline.com.br/bbox[/URL])

It´s true that the instrument does not make the musician, but you will spend a HARD time trying to make trance with FL...

I think is almost a MUST to have at least a VA synth, to start to make something decent on psy area.

If don´t, you´ll see that you´ll have to force FL very far away, during a long time, to make some trance music that could be done in just one day with the proper equipment.

Back