Producers Block?

Brendan Bonura

Young Dienasty
I've recently encountered a problem with my music. Over the past week, I've been unable to make good melodies, i can't fit any sounds into the ideas I have, and i have scraped about 5 attempt beats over the past few weeks because i just wasn't feeling it. Is this producers block? I don't think it is, because i had taken a complete break from making music over the past week, and i can still think of catchy melodies and drum patterns in my head. The problem is if i do try to put these ideas in fl studio, i either cant find they type of sound i was looking for, or the beat just didn't turn out the way i suggested. I really don't know what to do. Should I expand my sound library (which is going to be hard considering I am on a budget and cant afford any nexus expansion, despite eying a few of them for a while), get my hands on some new, better VSTs, or simply just take an extended break from music? I really don't want to take any breaks, considering all these ideas i have that are just sitting in my head, but i don't want to deal with all of this frustration I've been having with my "beat block". Any suggestions guy? I really need the input!

Listen to a different style of music for a change.

Agreed. I'll take it a step further though and pluralize it. Different styles of music. Go absorb everything and anything you can, get your mind off of creation for a minute and direct it towards appreciation, It'll come back to you.

Burn to cd so you can make your music more personalised, listen to CDs you haven't listened to for years.

Rediscover old classics.

Eventually you will get to the point where you are able to replicate the sounds in your head it just takes practice so don't give up.

Also, buying more gear to help cure "producer's block" is a VERY bad idea.
You're still gonna probably have the same issue, but you'll have spent more money when you shouldn't have. IMO, the best way to find inspiration is to seek it outside of your comfort zone. Try listening to other forms of music and emulate whatever it is you liked. Alot of great artist have developed their style as a mix of influences. Another way is to just **** around---just try recording two measures of random notes on a keyboard to a drumloop and see what you get. Don't worry about tweaking anything or getting the right instrument setting, just go random. I also recommend getting out of your bedroom/basement/attic/whathaveyou and network with other producers and musicians and just kick it with 'em and see what you can glean from 'em to help with your production. It is common for musicians to link up and share techniques, in music there is no such thing as "trade secrets".

Last edited:
I had this problem for way longer then you have, I would always cook up a loop, but could never turn it into a full song. I was trying to make things too complex I guess, I have since became lazy and try to keep things as minimal and simple as possible. As for finding sounds and samples, try to think of what kind of synth or sound you want and then go out and look for it. You don't have to have the exact sound it mind, just the type of sound like a airy piano type hit or maybe a synth that makes a plucking sound. Maybe even just sit down and try to make a synth yourself, this is the best way to create your own unique sound and also the best way for those accidental miracles to occur.

My music is usually about action and intensity... so what I do to get rid of mind block is go shooting. Helps blow off steam, plus for some odd reason It helps me think of something new to make.

Sometimes you have to work through it. Otherwise just save the idea and come back to it later and do something else. Bang out many tracks during the times where creativity is flowing.

Go back to some of your real OLD beats and try to make them sound better. I notice most of my old beats may sound bad lol but my style changed alot so going back to my old production allows me to get out of a block! Try it fam.

I once had an art teacher that told
me some great knowledge.

One day I was in class making a clay
sculpture and I just couldnt get the
damn thing right for the life of me.

He told me something that I'll never
forget. He said "If you're not getting
frustrated you're not learning" - basically
he was telling me that I had to get out
of my comfort zone of being in control
of everything and let it flow.

Don't fight the block. Just flow with it.
The more you fight it the bigger it will
get.

Acknowledge it and keep it moving. Keep
making beats, even if they suck. Just keep
going and eventually you'll break through it.

A lot of times when I get a beat block I like to
focus on another aspect of my production or
business.

"Do I need to learn how to mix better? How's
the panning in my mixes? Thats's something I
can work on..."

Then I read up on that. And apply what I learn.

Back