Problem w/Meshing Sounds

guapomusic

In recent, I have steered away from sampling and gotten more into original hip-hop, rnb, and neo soul music production. Primarily with hip-hop I am getting stuck with sound choice...meaning putting sounds together...i.e which sounds better serve as main melody, chords, counter melody and when to use pads or strings or not to. I use Kontakt, Massive, Nexus, Firebird, Vanguard, Zeta+, Sonik synth and sample tank to name a few vsts. Any tips would help.

thanks

That sounds more like a composition issue.
Definitely not the guy to be giving any advice about that but I guess just utilizing a block/pattern mindset helps with this, even when using a timeline based daw.

Thinking about stuff as sections I mean.

Don't overthink it.
What sounds you pick for what purpose inside the song is all about what your own sound is. And developing your own sound that you're comfortable and happy with takes time.
The best way is to simply try out a sound for a certain progression or so and stick with it for now, eventually as the song takes shape you'll hear that the sound either suits the progression in addition to the track or not, if needed just switch out the sound or the melody until it gets better to your ears.

Back