Pro tools Midi

N

nutter007

I've just recently downloaded protools free. Been gettin to grips with it slowly but am gettin stuck now.

Firstly when i use the midi it will only play the crappy piano. I've tried puttin VST plugins in like in Cubase but it won't have it (read the manual and it just says to select from the edit menu but there is only one choice). Haven't got any external midi equipment as I am a poor student just experimentin. Is there an easy way to get those B-lines into the tune????

Also I have downloaded some Real files and converted them to wav. When i put them in they don't play properly if at all. Is this to do with the sample rate or is it the fact that they were real files. (They sound fine when there are played thru winamp)??????

I would be very greatful if anyone could help me with this!!

Thanks

Klang:bat:

nutter007,

pro-tools doesn't support VSTi's. Reading your post I'm feeling a bit guilty as I directed you towards pro-tools free to start with and now I'm sure it's not the right app for you:eek: (very sorry) because you want to work with midi (in your first post you just talked about recording mixes for free). If you need an app that supports virtual instruments then go for Cubase, it's soooo much better for midi anyway.

As for WAV files, it might be that they are at a different sample rate and/or bit depth from pro-tools session.

I use Cubase for all my 'composing' (sounds too posh for what I do) because its midi is so much better than pro-tools and I use pro-tools to rip audio from CDs, create RealAudio files and edit waveforms - especially editing waveforms as it pi$$es on Cubase from such a great height. You can use it to grab breaks from CDs or vinyl, work out their tempo, compress them and add other effects and then import them into Cubase. If I could afford it I would use pro-tools (full version - or at least 24 tracks) and Cubase, but for the moment Cubase will have to do.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
KasioRoks

Thankz

Kasio

Thanks for your help in directin me to protools. It taught me a lot even though I still can't use it properly!!

Tried cubase before but could only get a demo (no savin) because this is only a hobby and I can't afford the £600 for it. Got pissed off with it after spendin two days makin a tune and then have to turn it off coz my mum wants to go on the internet. Might get some renewed use out of it now I can manipulate the samples. I still haven't got to grips with the beat matchin in Protools. I use the time expansion edit to change the speed and then try to listen to the beat and match two up. Used to doin this coz I'm a Dj but not a very good one. But when you move the slider it will only go in blocks of about 2. Is there any way to do it more accurately?? I want to be able to mix two tunes with different bpm?? I've heard about identify beat function but its all greek to me.

Protools also batters the computers memory. I'm at university at the moment and using my friends PC. He's gettin vexed as it keeps crashin coz of me. Goin home soon and don't think my mum's imac will stand much more of a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do you use compose?????

Thanks alot for your advice over the past few weeks. I'll leave you alone now. Must be gettin bored with constant questions but its too damn complicated for a chemist!!!

Merry christmas

Klang

Hi!
Try Orion Pro. It's a sequencing program which will work with VST (like Cubase).

Costs less... works great!

Check it out here:
http://www.sonic-syndicate.com

Greetz
GrooveCowboy (ClubCrew)

Sorry: No Mac just Windoze :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to use VST you should check out emagic's Logic Audio line. Logic is an industry standard sequencer/recording/editing program that does it all. You can even install a soft sampler and numerous soft synths to use in conjunction with the app. Logic works with VST plugins and its pretty easy to learn the basics. If your Imac has a firewire port in it, you can pick up a Motu 828 audio interface and get a full blow recording studio.

-=chronos=-

protools doesn't support vst's?? u guys sure about that...

Back