preparing for a college audition

Moralz

I play the sax. I've been playing for 3 years and then I put it down for 3 years and picked it up for my senior year. Now I'm starting college at the University of Miami. Next year, around january, is the audition. It requires sight reading and some more. I'll get the audition requirements when the site starts working again. But if anyone can give me some tips then your welcome to

Here is some information on the audition.

Saxophone

SAXOPHONE PRELIMINARY AUDITION REQUIREMENTS

Two contrasting etudes (one slow, one moderate to fast) from Ferling 48 studies for oboe/saxophone, or a 2 minutes worth of excerpt(s) from the suggested audition pieces (or equivalent) which demonstrate both technical and lyrical skills. Accompaniment not required. In addition a staccato chromatic scale, full range ascending and descending, at the students fastest comfortable tempo.

One of the following works is suggested:
Creston, "Sonata", any two movements including 2nd movement.
Glazounov, "Concerto"
Heiden, "Sonata"

Other pieces or combinations of pieces from the standard repertoire, representing comparable difficulty, may be substituted with prior approval. Piano accompaniment can not be provided for on-campus or regional auditions. Students who do bring an accompanist are urged to provide a supplementary tape of an accompanied performance. On-campus auditions are always preferable.

Jazz Saxophone

JAZZ SAXOPHONE PRELIMINARY AUDITION REQUIREMENTS

(DEADLINE DECEMBER 1, 2005)

(Preliminary auditions after this deadline will be accepted at the discretion of the faculty)

Three standard songs or jazz standards of the applicant's choice (no more than one blues piece)

Include entire melody and 1 improvised chorus (32 bar tunes).

Limit shorter forms such as Blues to 4 improvised choruses.

Live or "play along" accompaniment is acceptable

In addition, one short jazz or classical etude to demonstrate tone/intonation, articulation, rhythmic accuracy, etc.

Acceptable formats: CD, DVD, Cassette tape

It sounds like I'd be better doing classical saxophone. I'm still searching for a tutor but am having no luck what so ever. I practice my scales and pretty much have those down. I'm pretty nice at improving aswell. Well decent at most. So are there any sax players on fp who can help me? BTW, I'm in arlington, tx so if anyone knows any tutors around that area, let me know.

Last edited:
Back