Practicing Piano is Hard Work?

ftxn

Does anybody feel like practicing piano is hard work?

I just bought a keyboard again, and have been not playing piano since quite some time.

It looks like it is hard work when it comes to memorizing all the scales and the chords and then being able to put it together and play.

Anyway I may revert to making beats and have a look at harmony navigator.

Does anybody feel like practicing piano is hard work?

I just bought a keyboard again, and have been not playing piano since quite some time.

It looks like it is hard work when it comes to memorizing all the scales and the chords and then being able to put it together and play.

Anyway I may revert to making beats and have a look at harmony navigator.
You scared of some hard work?
LMAO

I am just saying that it takes so much.

In the past I have been trying quite a bit for 1-2 years and now I still feel like I am sitting in front of this and thinking that it takes so much. I think it would be different if I would get some reward off playing piano by being able to play better. As of now the reward I have gotten is that I can make beats "easier".

I personally enjoy it most of the time.

Having regular lessons helps me keep motivated because if I go to a lesson and I haven't practiced, I feel guilty.

Have you considered working towards a graded exam? You might find it helps having a challenge to overcome.

I personally enjoy it most of the time.

Having regular lessons helps me keep motivated because if I go to a lesson and I haven't practiced, I feel guilty.

Have you considered working towards a graded exam? You might find it helps having a challenge to overcome.
I am considering taking the ABRSM exam. Right now, I am practicing so I'll be ready for jazz camp this summer. Having challenges keeps me motivated, but practice is its own reward for the most part. I feel like shit if I haven't practiced.

i play by ear and i have a friend who plays by keys and chords and he always baffled on how i can make music on a daw and hes astonished like he doesnt know how to improvise .

any instrument takes lots of practice to get good at

the thing is to structure that practice in such a way that it is not a hassle

just sitting and playing a scales and arpeggios and maybe chord-scales is going to be hard work and somewhat boring to boot simply because you are not applying those fundamentals to specific tunes

add some songs/piano pieces to your daily workout (a half-hour to an hour is good for a total regime) and you will be surprised at what you can achieve.

as others have noted above having a graded exam to work towards usually provides the necessary focus

practice sessions should be structured something like this

warmups - scales/arpeggios getting faster
working on old piece(s)
sight reading new pieces
warmdowns - scales/arpeggios getting slower

there are other things you could do but working with a teacher may also provide you with other targets and choices

At the moment, I found a nice balance for my practice of the saxophone.
I daily practice all harmonic major and minor scales and do the corresponding penta scales. I do this for 15 minutes. Then I do what I like and that's improvise to whatever song I like from youtube or something I made myself.
This keeps the balance between what you have to do and what you like to do.
I quit reading from notes. Although, I took an old book with funk and soul music out of the closet last night and started playing it again. But usually, I never find myself in a place where I have to read from notes. I try to find the scale as quickly as I can and then practice playing what kind of tune I hear in my head or copy from the song.

Back