Post Your tips for Beat Block

Scanman211

Been on a dry spell lately trying to make tracks for a while now... Every producer goes through a period where they get burnt out or unmotivated. So If any of yall producers got tips on how to get over dry spells I would appreciated your help !!!

Most of the time I sit down to record with an idea in mind. But when I have nothing, I'll bang on the drum machine until I get something I like. I'll loop that and jam with it on the bass until I get something. I'll loop that and jam with it on the guitar. Then keys and so on.

I wish I had a band.

- Stay away from all music for about a week.... ALL MUSIC. Your's, radio, tv, live, etc. This will give you some time to clear your head. Do other things, read up or learn about something new unrelated to music.

- After a week or so start listening to music again. But not your own music. Don't even listen to music in the style you create. Listen to other people's music in other genres. Study it. Really pick it apart and try to understand. This will help bring some new inspiration.

- Get back to your music. But dont try to make music. Just go back to your equipment. Maybe just browse your sound library or play with your synth. Read your manuals and learn or relearn something over.

By then, you should stumble on something and the creative juices will start flowing. The important thing is not to force it. Just let it come back on its own.

Scanman211 said:
Every producer goes through a period where they get burnt out or unmotivated

never been burtout off music or unmotivated to work on it

i mean watch the film 'before night falls'. then tell me wtf burnt out is

I do what lanstarr was saying. However, when I need to get back in the studio to get something made, I usually load up an old song. I play around with it until I get something new ( i.e drop the drum pattern, superfluous filling instruments, and, or melody). Sounds like something you've done before right? Well then I take what I've got that's new and flip it again, and you'd probably never guess what it was before.

Everyone works different. I got an idea why don't you just make some really wack/bizzare material, then see if you can fix it and make it worth something to listen to.

I find that If I shift my thought to something else like this project of restoring a 1993 suzuki katana 600 I got for 700 buc's that my creative juices would kick back in,I'm about 80% done with the bike and just have'nt found the time to finish the dam thing I went out and brought a gsxr1000 just to ride around town.
93Kat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Event of Trauma

Close your eyes, relax, concentrate less, listen to it all.

Eat food to live.

What’s the worst thing? Mute it. Delete it.

Go sit on the sofa and listen.

Turn off C4 and mix it properly.

Filter the sub bass boom out.

Does it sound warm enough?

Are the little hats right, do they play and frolic with the backbeat?

Place the sounds more carefully in space.

Mute something good and see if the tune gets better.

Is it beautiful? Do something amazing!

Don’t be lazy!

when im unmotivated, i hop on the sampler and start using things i wouldnt even consider using. the outcome is always very inspirational. even if you have no tune or beat in your head. just try new things. that always clears the cobwebs

Elijah said:
when im unmotivated, i hop on the sampler and start using things i wouldnt even consider using. the outcome is always very inspirational. even if you have no tune or beat in your head. just try new things. that always clears the cobwebs

Yep ! That always work for me too. Sometimes you just gotta sit back & think to yourself what you want to do next, as far as waht type of beat & bpm.

http://www.soundclick.com/supadread

Man I appreciate all yall input all yall tips helped..Like b4 once I started doing your methods I found my biggest problem is I keep tryin to force somethin to happen while Im frustrated...

Preciate It

i find the best thing is to do something else for a while to take your mind off things.if you cant be arsed then play around with some synths and stuff and make some new sounds for your 'sound library'. quite alot of time you get ideas for tunes while doing this.

LANSTARR.COM said:
- Stay away from all music for about a week.... ALL MUSIC. Your's, radio, tv, live, etc. This will give you some time to clear your head. Do other things, read up or learn about something new unrelated to music.

- After a week or so start listening to music again. But not your own music. Don't even listen to music in the style you create. Listen to other people's music in other genres. Study it. Really pick it apart and try to understand. This will help bring some new inspiration.

- Get back to your music. But dont try to make music. Just go back to your equipment. Maybe just browse your sound library or play with your synth. Read your manuals and learn or relearn something over.

By then, you should stumble on something and the creative juices will start flowing. The important thing is not to force it. Just let it come back on its own.

EXCELLENT advice!

Before sunday i hadnt made a beat in like 3 months!

During that time i just listened to music mainly 60's 70's & 80s retro soul & funk & also a lot of dance & trance (very good if u like to create synth melodies)! Read through all notes ive made for song ideas, samples etc.

Ive also been reading thru all the help files / manuals of the software that i use just to refreshen my memory & make sure that i know exactly what my software does!

I've also taken time to listen to other artists i know & hear their material!

After all of this, i sat down with a rapper i know (R.E.V - The illest in England period)! & I then made a track with him based on a chorus line he had!

Since then i have developed a lot of basic ideas that i want to turn into full tracks!

THE WAY TO GET PAST A PRODUCERS BLOCK ISNT TO FORCE IT, BUT TO TAKE TIME OUT & LEARN MUSIC, READ THRU UR NOTES, & LISTEN TO OTHER STYLES OF MUSIC & OTHER ARTISTS (NOT MAJOR ONES)!

Another thing i do is rotate my radio!
For example i listen to Pirates, Magic, Heart, Jazz Fm on a regular basis & Ever now again the stations that play todays chart music!

Hello,

I usually go see a psychiatrist and tell her the problem.

Just playin'

If you find yourself at a loss of beats, take some time away from the equipment, wait a few days and come back and try again!

I watch a movie or something, usually a good movie can spark an idea. That does depend on what kind of movie it is. A naughty movie would only cure a wood block.

Hope this helps!

Man I apprecitae all yalls tips they really help. If yall want to I posted another forum up in the composing section about producing 4 other artists. So if you want to resond to that also I would really apprecite it... Thank you once again to everyone whose responded to help me out

I usually just try to stay busy on something else. Organize projects. Cut up samples. Create some new patches. Practice a technique of some sort. Listen to someone elses music. Stay busy but not focus on making anything permanent.

Back