is it possible to find a F# in a D# major

laffa-yett

a friend sent me a song and he said its in D# major. but it also contains some choirds with F#
can someone explain me that?

1. For starters, if your "friend" is sending you stuff in the key of D# major-they are a dickhead.
2. D# major is Eb major to normal people. Maybe they meant D# minor? Possible borrowed chord?
3. Is there an F# (Gb) in the key of Eb major? No. Any F's in that D# major key would be double sharped.

D# major is Eb as pumpthrust notes - it does exist as a theoretical key but we tend to not worry about any of the theoretical keys such as Fb, G#, D#, A#, E# and B#

In Eb major you might get a D major as secondary dominant of G minor (i.e. a borrowed chord)

If it were D# minor then we expect to see F# in some chords

list out the progression as you believe it to be (including the spelling - what notes - are in each chord) and we will review it and identify
1) actual key (may involve respelling with the enharmonic equivalents)
2) chord function within that key
3) explanation of any borrowed chords

note enharmonic tones are as follows

Abb=G,F##Bbb=A,G##Cbb=Bb,A#Dbb=C,B#
Ab=G#Bb=A#,CbbCb=B,A##Db=C#,B##
A=G##,BbbB=A##,CbC=B#,DbbD=C##,Ebb
A#=Bb,CbbB#=C,DbbC#=B##,DbD#=Eb,Fbb
A##=B,CbB##=C#,DbC##=D,EbbD##=E,Fb
Ebb=D,C##Fbb=Eb,D#Gbb=F,E#
Eb=D#,FbbFb=E,D##Gb=F#,E##
E=E##,FbF=E#,GbbG=F##,Abb
E#=F,GbbF#=E##,GbG#=Ab
E##=F#,GbF##=G,AbbG##=A,Bbb

[td][th]Note[/td][td]=[/td][td]Enharmonic equivalent[/th][th][/th][th]Note[/td][td]=[/td][td]Enharmonic equivalent[/th][th][/th][th]Note[/td][td]=[/td][td]Enharmonic equivalent[/th][th][/th][th]Note[/td][td]=[/td][td]Enharmonic equivalent[/th][/tr]

Last edited:
It isn't uncommon for a song to change keys mid progression, especially to the parallel minor (D# minor in this case.)

Back