Porter Robinson Kick Samples

DJ_Mc7

I've been paying attention to a lot of the samples this kid uses, and a lot of his kick samples have similar properties (ESPECIALLY when viewed with a spectrogram) and I'm wondering HOW THE HELL does he program these? I've looked in almost every Vengeance pack (I know this because I downloaded a .rar called "Almost every vengeance pack") and still haven't found a kick similar to it.

Check out the sound sample and a spectral analysis of three different kicks.

View attachment porter kicks.mp3

6J96S.jpg

Last edited:
I know that he uses the vengence packs cuase he said he did in an interview i bet he just gets like a kick from there and adds a shit ton of reverb and compression thats how artists usually make there own kicks with a unique touch haha idk were he got that from im pretty sure he added some of his own FX that he liked

why dont you just use those samples you have... if thats the sound your going for.

VEE basedrum 170 sounds pretty close if you want a vengance sample...

I have been a huge Porter Robinson fan FOREVER, like Audiomission, Ekowraith days (I was like 12 at the time so I was (and still am) infatuated, I could talk about it all day but back to the point...). He puts so much time and effort into every small detail. His kicks are no exception. They are most definitely not just one-and-done samples. His electro kicks have a slow decay as you can see in the spectral analysis. Also, possibly the attack of the kick is a analog kick sample and the decay is a more electronic kick sample.

porters kicks are usually more than one kick, which are compressed & eq'd separately then layered together. he might use the high frequencies on one, the main body of another and the sub frequencies of a third until they form another sound. this is why you wont find an exact match in any vengeance kit

What are vengence kicks???? Sorry to ask this question.. Lool ...i create my own kicks from scratch , but i have driven machine drums and bought some drum tools and other stuff from wave alchemy, im guessing vengence kicks are a sample lib, but i never heard of them

Hoooly crap I wasn't expecting this many responses. lol

His electro kicks have a slow decay as you can see in the spectral analysis.

Yeah that's correct. I love his samples. They're extremely punchy and sound perfect for complex electro.

porters kicks are usually more than one kick, which are compressed & eq'd separately then layered together. he might use the high frequencies on one, the main body of another and the sub frequencies of a third until they form another sound. this is why you wont find an exact match in any vengeance kit

So he's essentially mashing together 3 drums? That's ****ing sick. I might have to try that.

What are vengence kicks???? Sorry to ask this question.. Lool ...i create my own kicks from scratch , but i have driven machine drums and bought some drum tools and other stuff from wave alchemy, im guessing vengence kicks are a sample lib, but i never heard of them

LOL you havent heard of vengence? its like a shit ton of samples like a group put togeather you should get them its a really good tool you can use in producing ur music

This may be a dead thread, but I still want to post my thoughts :P

Just before I start, I'm just going to warn you, I'm just posting a quick kind of tutorial on a technique I literally just thought of while reading through this thread, so I haven't personally tried it yet, but I probably will right after I write it out on here.

So...if you want to try and make a kick similar to porter's, try this out.

1- Get the kick from one of Porter's track that you want to try and replicate or use to make a similar kick of your own. Link it to your mixer and apply a lowpass filter.

2 - Find a kick with a similar low end, and link it to the mixer applying the exact same lowpass filter you applied to Porters kick.

<-----> For this part I'm not sure how you would do this in other DAW's, but I use FL Studio, so if you do to then you can just use these exact steps <----->

3 - If the first kick you used doesn't sound close enough, go through your sample pack and find the next similar kick, right click it and click on "Send to selected or focussed on channel" or whatever that says. This will send your new, different sample, to the same channel so that the lowpass filter will still be applied.

Continue doing this until you find a kick you're satisfied with.

Once you have your low end kick that you're satisfied with, continue the process by cutting the low end of Porter's kick, and the low end of some new samples, so that there is only the higher, more punchier, parts of the kick. You may want to apply a lowpass filter as well at about 8000hz, because a lot of producers like to layer in a hat to give the kick a little more "crispy-ness", and by cutting those really high frequencies, you'll be able to take out some of the hat, making it easier to compare the higher ends of just the two kicks.

This technique will cut both your sample, and Porters kick, at the exact same frequencies, allowing you to hear only those frequencies, which makes it much easier to compare, and choose a kick that's similar.

You can use this for 2 different kicks, 3, 4, however many you want, but the more you use, the more frequency cutting in different areas you will have to do.

Once all your samples are picked, then it's time to start layering each together. All I can say about layering kicks is that you're going to have to do some lowpass and highpass filters so that the frequencies of both kicks aren't clashing together, and making the sound "muddy". From my small amount of experience with layering kicks, I found that the area that will cause the most problems is usually the bass/sub of the kicks, so try to dedicate one kick to that area, and layer the rest into it by cutting out those lower ends.

Play it by ear and try not to overcomplicate things, not only with kicks, but with everything, especially with making basses. There are a lot of bass sounds out there like Porter's, that are so crisp and clean, yet dirty, and if you find yourself trying to make a similar bass, just don't over complicate it. Too much compression, EQ, distortion, or any other effect can turn something with potential into complete shit. Instead, try layering. It will make the sound so much fuller, and so much better. I'm no pro at it, but I've definitely started learning how much more it helps to layer rather than over process a sound.

Best of luck to everyone, and I hope this helps at least one person!

Last edited:
thats the tail of VEE bassdrum 170 :) i did the same thing one for that tune, shove some hihat snippets and better kick transients on it and then compress / transient shape and then voila

------------------------------------------------
Hi, listen if you want to know what J4YM5 is about :)
http://soundcloud.com/j4ym5/big-bad-wolf-part-1

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Keep making the kicks from scratch man its the best way,
i only find vengence useful for claps.

Hi, listen if you want to know what J4YM5 is about :)
Big Bad Wolf - Part 1 by J4YM5 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, going to check that one out since I have the pack haha, I read in an interview that he was favouring VEE, as well as Club Sounds Vol.2 at one point in time, he may have moved on since then, but for finding drum samples in his older tracks, it'd be worth checking out. There was also a perc from VEH3 used in "Say My Name", so he has that pack too.

In the vengeance vocal essentials, vol. 1 I think, you can find the vocal sample used in Tiesto's "C'mon" song, and there's actually a bunch more right below, or above that sample saying "come on", so it's possible one of them may have been used in "Hello" as well, because there is one point in the track where there's a vocal sample of someone saying "come on" right before it drops back into the complextro style stuff. I was going to check and see if any of those vocal samples matched the one in "Hello" at one point in time, but never got around to doing it.

So, minus the vocal essentials pack, I'd start searching those one's that we know he used for sure first for any similar kicks, then go on from there!

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone posts in here anymore, but I thought i might add.

I just got the VEH3 and I've found alot of possible samples that he's used. he used perc 108 in "say my name" as well as I'm not completely sure but it sounds like he used kick #130 in the same track. it has the same attack and same hi hat added, but I haven't been able to find a kick with a similar low end that he might have layered with it. honestly it's all about just spending alot of time with your drums until you're 100% happy. I know for a fact that porter like said before, spends huge amounts of hours (he said in an interview about 60-70 on average) on his songs and I'm not surprised that he probably spends the first 15-20 hours just working on his drum intros. matthewharrison pretty much nailed the basics of how to achieve a similar sound. Use EQs to split bands and find samples that have similar characteristics in those bands. once you have your kicks, layer them together and compress them to make them punchier and louder, but also to glue them together a little more.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, but it's what I've been trying to do lately to achieve that punchy and heavy kick sound the porter always has.

Also for fun, i've identified some more samples used -

VEH3 - kick #114 - wolfgang gartner firepower kick
VEH3 - clap #23 - porter robinson i'm on fire clap
In the same pack in the 'FX' section, you can find some cool sweep/riser sounds that zedd has used before as well.

cheers

Back