Pitch Bend...VS...Glide...VS...Portamento...???

Chew_Bear

I am all confused when it comes to Pitch Bend, Glide and Portamento.

They all sound the same to my ears. Are all these the 'same' thing/concept...? If not...can someone explain the differences and/or theory in a way that is easy to understand...?

Glide and portamento are synonymous. Pitch bend does a similar thing - gradual change of pitch, but it's user-actuated (with the pitch wheel/stick/whatever) whereas portamento happens between two notes whether or not you actively do anything. On the other hand, you can pitch bend a single note in either direction, but glide/porta always needs both a "source" note and a "target" note.

Which kinds of sounds and/or instruments benefit the most from these 3 effects/properties...?

I understand a lot of TRAP music 'glides' the 808. I am currently trying this and it's pretty easy and I think with a little more practice I should be able to glide my 808's no problem.

But...I have been experimenting gliding other instruments (leads, bass, arps etc) and gliding seems to make for some pretty COOL sounds with these sounds also.

How do you find the right 'mix' and/or amount to make it sound good and not sloppy or 'overdone'/cliche...?

Last edited:
I think glide vs portamento has to do something with the release/aftertouch. They do pretty much the same thing. Make sure if you are using portamento or glide make it 1 voice/mono and just have fun. My biggest problem is sometimes the glide volume in between notes is too low so I usually end up compressing it

Last edited:
Anyone want to take bets on what the next very basic question is?

My money is on a question related to "amplitude" or "panning" --the pool will contain various guesses of topics by forum members that are easily answered by a google search or by figuring it out yourself by ::gasp:: practicing (oohhhh noooo's):4theloveofgod: The game will be similar to Family Feud.

I have an unrelated but similar question: If I shit myself, should I wipe...or should I leave it there until it dries and falls off my butthole and asscheeks?

I'm joking of course, but you need to take some responsibility/initiative and start reading and attempting these techniques yourself before asking why leaves fall in Autumn, or why most birds chirp in the Spring, if you get what I'm saying. Totally non-malicious post and just trying to be funny here, but man...seriously. Motivate yourself

Back