Piano Tips and Tricks

D

DaKillaB

whats good,

i've been messing around with this for a week or so and i thought i'd let yall know about it (if someones already posted this, my bad)

i keep hearing people saying that to be good at playing piano, you need to train your ears to recognize notes and chords, etc...

That dude Claifornia (by the way, if you read this, can you make a video showing how to play Scarface's my block) is pretty good at this, so anyways this is how i've been trying to train my ear.

i've basically made a bunch of mp3 files that have each note playing for 4 bars. For instance, C--- C--- C--- C--- etc... Each note is on a different mp3 file.

Then I've taken all these files and put it into my Nano (this the one i have, but i'm pretty sure it'll work with other ipods). In the Nano's games folder, theres this game called music quiz. It basically plays music files and then it gives you 4 options to choose the correct name from.

I'm pretty sure yall get what i'm doing, so far i've only done one octave, but i'm planning on doing each note in differnt octaves and then doing the same thing with different scales.

Its a pretty good way to train your ears.

Let me know if it works for yall

Peace!

haha ur a genius lol, a lot people would be to lazy for that , they tend to just make any sounds that sounds just rite and hit record then add a boom boom bap and call it a day.

lol,

i got a pack of sounds, after i get diferent octaves together I could probably hook people up.

Peace!

Last edited by a moderator:
word man , if u cna hook me up wit some pack of sounds u got made already , it wouldnt hurt to put into my ipod while im sleep or etc , wake up a better producer lol! u think that will work? watch everyone do that now haahha

tnguyen33 said:
word man , if u cna hook me up wit some pack of sounds u got made already , it wouldnt hurt to put into my ipod while im sleep or etc , wake up a better producer lol! u think that will work? watch everyone do that now haahha

It worked in The Matrix, I dont see why not???

for the music quiz thing what happens when u have 3,000 songs and then u put in the chords adding to dat 3,ooo...i prob wont work 4 me because the music quiz pick songs at random, im dont think u can make a folder and the put the notes in that and then when ur doin the quiz pick that folder to do the quiz on.If You Can tell Me!?

thats a good trick, but very few people have perfect pitch..or can tell what note is being played just by hearing it..more importantly is learning the sound of chords...Minor,Major,7th,11th...

DaKillaB said:
whats good,

i've been messing around with this for a week or so and i thought i'd let yall know about it (if someones already posted this, my bad)

i keep hearing people saying that to be good at playing piano, you need to train your ears to recognize notes and chords, etc...

That dude Claifornia (by the way, if you read this, can you make a video showing how to play Scarface's my block) is pretty good at this, so anyways this is how i've been trying to train my ear.

i've basically made a bunch of mp3 files that have each note playing for 4 bars. For instance, C--- C--- C--- C--- etc... Each note is on a different mp3 file.

Then I've taken all these files and put it into my Nano (this the one i have, but i'm pretty sure it'll work with other ipods). In the Nano's games folder, theres this game called music quiz. It basically plays music files and then it gives you 4 options to choose the correct name from.

I'm pretty sure yall get what i'm doing, so far i've only done one octave, but i'm planning on doing each note in differnt octaves and then doing the same thing with different scales.

Its a pretty good way to train your ears.

Let me know if it works for yall

Peace!

I considered that idea then dismissed it when I realized that the game selects songs randomly from my ENTIRE collection of songs on my ipod! If there is a way to adjust this let me know DakillaB.

yeah,

I realized that too, I'm asking my boys, they know how to get around this kind of stuff. We'll see what happens.

Peace!

easy. make it a playlist and then shuffle that. and you'll get it. but yeah thats a genius idea. i'd do it all day while im at work...tre3_holla3@hotmail.com is my email address.

tre3_holla3@hotmail.com (don't forget the underscore between tre3 and holla3)

but i know there's a way to shuffle playlists by clicking a button on my ipod.

treHOLLa:
easy. make it a playlist and then shuffle that. and you'll get it. but yeah thats a genius idea. i'd do it all day while im at work...tre3_holla3@hotmail.com is my email address.

tre3_holla3@hotmail.com (don't forget the underscore between tre3 and holla3)

but i know there's a way to shuffle playlists by clicking a button on my ipod.

yo whats good, can u clearlify that for me, if u can try that on ur ipod and get it to work, then let me know, and i'll get those sounds uploaded.

Peace!

You can set iPod to repeat a song over and over, or to repeat a sequence of songs.

You can also set it to shuffle (play songs or albums in random order).

iPod repeats or shuffles songs within an album or playlist. If no album or playlist is selected, it uses your whole library of music. If you set iPod to shuffle albums, it plays the songs on each album in order, but plays the albums in random order.

To set iPod to repeat songs, select Settings in the main menu, then select Repeat. To set it to repeat just one song, press the Select button again.

To set iPod to shuffle songs, select Settings in the main menu, then set Shuffle to Songs or Albums. When set to shuffle, iPod won't repeat a song until it has played through the entire album, playlist, or library. To shuffle a playlist, the setting must be set to Shuffle Songs (not Albums).

This document contains information from Help Center, the help system included with your computer.

aiight cool,

give me about a week or two, and i'll try to get all the notes from the C Major scale across all octaves.

Peace!

Much appreciated, DaKillaB!!!! Also, tReHolla, thanks for the additional info!!!!

All I can say is ... LEARN TO HUM MELODYS. HUM A SONG ALL DAY! GET HOME AND TRY TO PLAY THE SONG BY HUMING THE BASIC MELODY , ONCE YOU FIND THAT YOU CAN FIND THE CHORDS THROUGH THOSE BASIC NOTES ! .. WITH THIS METHOD, I WENT FROM JUST HITTING KEYS.. TO PEOPLE SAYING " HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING PIANO", "ARE YOU IN A BAND", " DID YOU TAKE LESSON", ect ect.. makes me feel good and gave me drive to keep playing !! thats my 2 cents !

One method I use for that is.. Hum the melody in my cellphone recorder..hahaha play it back when I get home...hopefully your cellphone has an option to record voice memo's ! I just hum the melody's in the voice memo recorder and playback...
once I have the basic note pattern down.. I then figure out the ACTUALY CHORDS ! .... humming really works..

Last edited:
Back