Piano Chords..?

hitmaker100584

I have no musical training but I have taught myself to play the guitar using various chords. The main chord I use is called a bar chord wich lets me emulate any note (A,D ect...) and then I can go forth in replaying a song ect.. Now I'm working with Fruity Loops and I can rock a bassline or guitar solo nicely in FL5 but when I try to play the paino and give it that full sound I can't achieve it. I usally only play 1 note at and then stack the notes in different octives to try and make them fuller...but is there an piano equivalent to a guitar bar chord that i could use?

To my knowledge (which is limited) there isn't really a bar chord for piano. Since you said you don't have musical training I suggest you check out www.musictheory.net and look at the part that says lessons and throughly read the part about construction of chords. This should answer most questions about how to voice chords that will go with what youre trying to do.

Any chord you can play on the guitar, you can play on the piano!

Don't get confused just becuase the word 'bar' is included. It's a bar chord just becuase your finger is 'barring' all of the strings.

To transfer the chord from the guitar to the piano, you just have to work out what notes are what. Remember the notes of the strings, and work it out. Each fret is a semi-tone. Apply that to the piano and you'll work out your chords in no time..

in the top left hand corner of your piano roll in FL there's a little menu that lets you play chords as one note. set it to whatever chord you want (maj vii for example) and then when you play a note (c# for example) or draw one in the piano roll it subs in the chord (c# maj vii).

barre chords aren't simply fifths. you're thinking of power chords, where you'd play root-5-octave and just mute the rest (think nickelback). barre chords are where you lay your first finger across all six strings, effectively working as a capo across whatever fret you barre, and use the other three fingers to build a chord from that. kind of like retuning on the fly. much more difficult to execute properly than a power chord.

"barre chords aren't simply fifths. you're thinking of power chords, where you'd play root-5-octave and just mute the rest (think nickelback). barre chords are where you lay your first finger across all six strings, effectively working as a capo across whatever fret you barre, and use the other three fingers to build a chord from that. kind of like retuning on the fly. much more difficult to execute properly than a power chord."

Thanx for the info, I did make a mistake sorry.
This is all you needed to say
"barre chords aren't simply fifths. you're thinking of power chords"

But the rest of the info might help someone that dosnt know it.

Id also give the example Metallica for power chords Or also any band that goes into drop D tuning will use alot of the one finger " power chords " Limp Bizkit . The rest of what you have said is pretty much a good way of putting it.

Sorry for making the mistake and thank you for fixing the error of my ways.

Back