Phrase • Motif • Riff

Phrase = long(-ish) musical idea
Motif = short musical idea
Riff = lick

im trying to learn more about musical notations can some be elaborate more on this

i meen like if its possible can somebody describe these terms on how i would play these

I can tell you what I see these terms as...

I think your description of a phrase sounds about right. Never use the term Motif but I would probably use it for something like a riff but I wouldn't call a riff. A riff might be a distinctive short musical idea.

I usually just go with what it sounds like, and what I hear about other peoples uses. If I heard someone play something on a guitar I would just say what it sounded like and not worry about the correct terminology.

If you are into getting the correct terminology for things then why not get a book on it. Or use a search engine adding the word "music" to the front.

Old thread I know, but I've been doing a lot of research about taking my theory knowledge that one step further (and come across this thread in the process).

Any lehmanns term definitions would be awesome. :) ''A short musical idea'' to be is very ambigious and vague. If this not what non-theory people refer to as ''fillers'', particularly in hip-hop music?

Back