Particular 'ahh' sound - aren't they all?

BunnyRabbit

Hi,

I'm new so apologies if I'm not being cool at any point.

I'm trying to recreate a particular 'ahh' sound. You can here it here -

It's the early 80's theme music to the TV program Tomorrow's World by Richard Denton and Martin Cook. I've always loved this music since watching the program when I was a kid. You can see the titles here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/tv/titles/tomorrowsworld1983.shtml

That mix sounds slighty different as it's more compressed.

Anyway, I've been trying to get that ahh sound and I'm not getting anywhere near. No presets I've got have it and I've tried layering vocal samples but that doesn't cut it either. I'm guessing there's a mixture of chorusing, reverb and filtering going on but I'm finding it particularly hard to get the source tones right. Is it a chord or single note?

Any help would be gratefully received and if you actually know how Denton & Cook did it then I'll be ecstatic.

Cheers.
Bunny.

ha

yeah those memories come flooding back... but i dunno how they created that Ahhh sound. Sorry.

MM

That sounds like a regular choir aah patch to me, or am I missing somethin cuz I'm listening w/ laptop speakers.

-Donovan

Well, I tried loads of 'regular' patches but it always sounds wrong. If you've got one that sounds the same then give us a hint.

I've since determined that it is a major chord but nothing is sounding right.

My latest theory is they used a Mellotron but I just haven't found the particular tape they used.

Finally got to listen to it at home. It's definitely choir aahs, but they also have tons of noise. The actual noise patch.

Yes. What do mean by 'the actual noise patch'? D'you mean they've added white noise? I've had the same thought but I've also come close to the sound and ended up with that hissy, airy noise as a by-product of the filtering amd layering.

I've been listening to the M-Tron demo which has a tantalising similar patch in it but I can't decide whether to fork of the 40 notes if it's still just another choir sample but not the one. It's still a nice plug-in though so maybe.

Yep,

Got Hollow Sun samples a while back. Thanks anyway.

I got a Mellotron expert's opinion on the sound but he reckoned it wasn't a 'Tron. Just doesn't sound right harmonically.

it might be one of those sounds you wont find anywhere other than the piece of gear it came from...that would suck but it happens

Back