PADS and STABS...??

Chew_Bear

What is the difference between a PAD and a STAB...??

I'm a little confused because my ear has not learned the character and specifics that make up each sound.

What are some traditional / 'standard' instruments, sounds or FX used for each one...???

Thanks.

A pad is a sound that has a very long release or a long attack (this is for swelling effects). They typically have a ton of reverb/delay FX on them, but you can create a pad without either one.

I'm not familiar with what exactly you think is a stab, but based off the name I could assume it has a very quick release and attack meaning the sound hits instantly and cuts out very fast/doesn't sustain itself for long periods of time like a pad does.

Forgot to add 'pluck' to this thread also.

How is a pluck different from a pad and stab...???

What instruments/samples make up a pluck...?

A pad is a sound that has a very long release or a long attack (this is for swelling effects). They typically have a ton of reverb/delay FX on them, but you can create a pad without either one.

I'm not familiar with what exactly you think is a stab, but based off the name I could assume it has a very quick release and attack meaning the sound hits instantly and cuts out very fast/doesn't sustain itself for long periods of time like a pad does.

Long Attack - Rising/increasing effect...right...?

i.e. Build ups and Tension to the "DROP" right...?

Long Release/Tail - Descending/decreasing effect...right...?

i.e. Build downs in ending a bar, measure or hook/chorus right...?

Thanks.

I also forgot...

What are the general rules or guidelines as to where to put these types of sounds in your song...???

i.e. Pad...As in build ups in verse to drop...OR...downer at end of hook/verse.

i.e. Stab...As in thru out the hook for 'character' or 'uniqueness'.

i.e. Pluck...As in a lead for 'body' and in various parts for 'depth' to carry the tune to term.

Is it just a matter of time and patience before a producer will naturally learn "where" these types of sounds...sound best in the song...???

Help...?!?!

Last edited:
I think a stab and a pluck describe the same kind of sound. These aren't really descriptions of things that should be used at certain times, I think they're more just ways to describe how the volume of the sound acts. As excio mentioned, pads are long attack and release, usually played with sustained notes, while stabs/plucks are short attack and release. Probably the difference between a pluck and a stab is that a pluck describes the way the sound sounds and a stab describes how the sound is played, because I've heard people use the term chord stab before, which would just be playing a chord for a very short amount of time instead of holding it out.

Long Attack - Rising/increasing effect...right...?

i.e. Build ups and Tension to the "DROP" right...?

Long Release/Tail - Descending/decreasing effect...right...?

i.e. Build downs in ending a bar, measure or hook/chorus right...?

Thanks.

Yes, exactly. Keep in mind that pads MUST have a long release but having a long attack is completely optional - you only need it if you want the pad to have a rising/swell effect. Also, pads are usually in chords to support the main melody. In EDM, it could be in the buildup or bridge sections that a pad is used to make the frequencies fill out more (pads, when used in chords, tend to provide good atmosphere in a track as well).

Pads:

Stabs:

Generally the difference between both are the release.

Pads: Attack could be long or short
Long sustain
Long release

Stabs: Short attack
Short decay,
almost (or none) sustain,
Short release

Stabs have more "impact", while pads are more smooth

pad= long sustained sounds used for parts that change very little if at all - things like high sustained notes or chords

stab - short, sharp, interjections akin to brass shots/szforzando hits - the most famous is the MT32 Orchestral stab which is a huge chord that lasts less than an 8th unless the tempo is phenomenally fast

pluck describes the attack/decay characteristics of certain sounds using both saw and square waves as the base waveform - can be used for any part but particulalry nice for melodies, basses and arpeggios

Back