Overlapping Melodies, Basslines

Lehoo

I've run into this with a few of my songs and it's not something I would immediately consider a problem; i'm more interested in whether this happens to you guys. What I mean by overlapping is - with many (especially longer) counterpointed melodies/basslines - having the bassline ascend above the melody, or the melody descend below the bassline. This does happen in some of the music that I listen to and, again, it's not something that makes it necessarily sound bad. If you know what I'm talking about, then you also probably know that placing the melody an octave higher or the bassline lower is often out of the question (even just particular notes). Anyways, please share your weird experiences with counterpoint, even if they're not exactly along the lines of what I brought up here. Another thing... do you ever come up with diatonically or simply theoretically incorrect music that you wouldn't want to correct (because it actually sounds good) or just can't correct?

Last edited:
When I'm writing music it's usually an arrangement for a 4/5 piece band, in which case, the only restrictions on the melody / bass are the frequency ranges of the instruments, otherwise, if it sounds good, do it. I think most "theoretically incorrect music" that sounds good, has generally already been explored by some jazz musician. Think most people are familiar with how a CMajor7th chord in the left hand, sounds good with an F# in the right. But saying that, either way, if you like the sound of it, then don't worry about the theory.

Back