orchestral percussion identification

dastig

There's this orchetral percussion sound used by a lot of popular film score to emphasise the downbeats of a climax. It sounds like a whole bunch of soldiers in boots stepping all at once. What is this?

on second listen, it sounds more like a gunshot.. i'm trying really hard to achieve this sound through heavy limiting of snares, but this sound has a strong bottom end..

no, it's not a taiko drum..

Here i've uploaded a clip but it's prettty poor quality.. the percussion sound comes it near the beginning after the rising scale.. do do do do then *bambambambam*.

Last edited:
to me it sounds like a harsh long snare sound turned backwards.

oh, no that's not the part i'm referring to lol. this sound occurs between 0:02-0:04 of the clip and it's pretty buried, so you'll have to listen hard.. 4 hits in quick succession before the first beat of the following bar. Thanks for all your help.. and sorry for all the trouble this is causing..

oh THAT sound! Its a typical fill that rock drummers do. Its a combination of hitting the floor tom and the snare at the same time. Usually each hit is a little louder than the previous one (crescendo).

ooooh. damn! thank you man, i've been searching for that sound for so long. Now just gotta get it to sound right..

Back