Opinions on making percussion FROM SCRATCH

N

Nervouspace

I would really like to try...I dont really want to use sample packs but I'm afraid I might have to. Can I really make pro quality kicks, hats, snares, ect

from scratch?

Do you have a mic?
Challenge yourself. This might be kinda fun too. Make "drum" sounds using the things around you and in your house/room.
Record random things.
Ive done this by slamming my fist on a table to make a kick drum. Dropping keys for tambourine sounds. Hitting metal with a stick for hi hats. Recording myself snapping and clapping. You know? Get creative. and nobody will have drums like you. Of course youd have to tweak the sounds using compressors, filters, and eq' and other fx but thats just sound design. If you know how to layer sounds do this too.

It's difficult to add to what ImOnlySleeping said, but I think it's worth noting that if you have little to no experience in making pro quality kick, hat and snare samples then you're going to have to accept that there's going to be a lot of practice needed in order to make them.

I agree that you can get some unique sounds out of sampling different things. It's fun, it's effective and it can often sound really fresh in a track. I do it a lot. But if you're focused on creating sounds that actually sound like pro kicks, hats and snares instead of just percussive sounds focused in that frequency space then it'll be a lot of work. I'll always encourage people to become the best they can be, so all I can really say is best of luck and keep at it.

The samples that you get in samplepacks are only created by humans with production skills, so you should be able to do it eventually too.

Last edited:
Yeah do it, it's good fun. I make my own drum sounds by a technique that's called component synthesis i think. Got into it because it used to annoy me going through sample libraries trying to find a particular drum, and then never really getting the one i wanted so found myself having to mess around with the sound anyway. Decided to make them from scratch instead and save the hassle. Bashing stuff and recording with a mic is good fun too of course but i don't do much of that.

Back