Only you

ok i just finalized the chords to this song, an oldie...now, i looked on the net and all the tabs were wrong.....so i scored it myself.....but my issue is....wtf...i have no idea what key this is in, it's like every 2 bar it changes keys or something...how did they write this song? what key(s) is it in....i'm lost. i just notated the first part since it's the same repeating after that, what structure did they use to make this it has Fmajor, Cmajor, Gmajor, Emajor, G#major, A#major, D#major....the only minor chord is C#minor...what song has 7 major chords and one minor chord lol...........this doesnt make sense. but its a really nice song.....i'd like someone to explain what key this is in, and how this song was written

Only E you can make this G# world seem right
Only C#m you can make the G darkness bright
Only G# you, and you, G alone, can D# thrill me G like you C do
And F fill my heart with A# love, for only D# you

Only you can make this change in me
For it's true, you are my destiny
When you hold my hand
I understand the magic that you do
You're my dream come true
My one and only you

Only you can make this change in me
For it's true, you are my destiny
When you hold my hand
I understand the magic that you do
You're my dream come true
My one and only you

(One and only you)

Last edited:
I think you need to clean your ears out

I just listened and this is what I get

intro

B[sup]b[/sup] / / A | B[sup]b[/sup] z z z ||

1st verse

E[sup]b[/sup] / / / | / / / / | G / / / | / / / / | Cm / / / | / / / / | E[sup]b7[/sup] / / / | / / / / |
A[sup]b[/sup] / / / | B[sup]b[/sup] / / / | E[sup]b[/sup] / G[sup]7[/sup][sub]/D[/sub] / | Cm[sup]7[/sup] / C[sup]7[/sup] / | F[sup]7[/sup] / / / | / / / / | B[sup]b7[/sup] / / / | / z z z ||

2nd verse

E[sup]b[/sup] / / / | / / / / | G / / / | / / / / | Cm / / / | / / / / | E[sup]b7[/sup] / / / | / / / / |
A[sup]b[/sup] / / / | A[sup]b[/sup]m / / / | E[sup]b[/sup] / G[sup]7[/sup][sub]/D[/sub] / | C[sup]7[/sup] / / / | F[sup]7[/sup] / / / | B[sup]b7[/sup] / / / | E[sup]b[/sup] / E / | E[sup]b[/sup] z z z ||

3rd verse (2nd verse again)

A[sup]b[/sup] / / / | A[sup]b[/sup]m / / / | E[sup]b[/sup] / G[sup]7[/sup][sub]/D[/sub] / | C[sup]7[/sup] / / / | F[sup]7[/sup] / / / | B[sup]b7[/sup] z z z | E[sup]b6/9[/sup] ||

Note: z indicates a beat rest

B[sup]b[/sup] ~ B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F
A ~ A-C[sup]#[/sup]-E
E[sup]b[/sup] ~ E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]
G ~ G-B-D
Cm ~ C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G
E[sup]b7[/sup] ~ E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]
A[sup]b[/sup] ~ A[sup]b[/sup]-C-E[sup]b[/sup]
G[sup]7[/sup]/D ~ G-B-D-F with a D in the bass
Cm[sup]7[/sup] ~ C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]
C[sup]7[/sup] ~ C-E-G-B[sup]b[/sup]
F[sup]7[/sup] ~ F-A-C-E[sup]b[/sup]
B[sup]b7[/sup] ~ B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F-A[sup]b[/sup]
A[sup]b[/sup]m ~ A[sup]b[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]
E ~ E-G[sup]#[/sup]-B
E[sup]b6/9[/sup] ~ E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]-C-F

if we analyse this it becomes apparent that it is not as dramatic as it seems at first sight

intro

V / / [sup]b[/sup]V | V z z z ||

1st verse

I / / / | / / / / | III / / / | / / / / | vi / / / | / / / / | I[sup]7[/sup] / / / | / / / / |

A[sup]b[/sup] / / / | B[sup]b[/sup] / / / | E[sup]b[/sup] / G[sup]7[/sup][sub]/D[/sub] / | Cm[sup]7[/sup] / C[sup]7[/sup] / | F[sup]7[/sup] / / / | / / / / | B[sup]b7[/sup] / / / | / z z z ||
IV / / / | V / / / | I / III[sup]7[/sup][sub]/7[/sub] / | vi[sup]7[/sup] / VI[sup]7[/sup] / | II[sup]7[/sup] / / / | / / / / | V[sup]7[/sup] / / / | / z z z ||

2nd verse

I / / / | / / / / | III / / / | / / / / | vi / / / | / / / / | I[sup]7[/sup] / / / | / / / / |

A[sup]b[/sup] / / / | A[sup]b[/sup]m / / / | E[sup]b[/sup] / G[sup]7[/sup][sub]/D[/sub] / | C[sup]7[/sup] / / / | F[sup]7[/sup] / / / | B[sup]b7[/sup] / / / | E[sup]b[/sup] / E / | E[sup]b[/sup] z z z ||
IV / / / | iv / / / | I / III[sup]7[/sup][sub]/7[/sub] / | VI[sup]7[/sup] / / / | II[sup]7[/sup] / / / | V[sup]7[/sup] / / / | I / [sup]#[/sup]I / | I z z z ||

A[sup]b[/sup] / / / | A[sup]b[/sup]m / / / | E[sup]b[/sup] / G[sup]7[/sup][sub]/D[/sub] / | C[sup]7[/sup] / / / | F[sup]7[/sup] / / / | B[sup]b7[/sup] z z z | E[sup]b6/9[/sup] ||
IV / / / | iv / / / | I / III[sup]7[/sup][sub]/7[/sub] / | VI[sup]7[/sup] / / / | II[sup]7[/sup] / / / | V[sup]7[/sup] z z z | I[sup]69[/sup] ||

convert I[sup]7[/sup], II[sup]7[/sup], III[sup]7[/sup] and VI[sup]7[/sup] to V[sup]7[/sup]-of-IV, V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V, V[sup]7[/sup]-of-vi and V[sup]7[/sup]-of-ii (i.e. name them as secondary dominants and the progression makes even more sense):

intro

V / / [sup]b[/sup]V | V z z z ||

1st verse

I / / / | / / / / | V-of-vi / / / | / / / / | vi / / / | / / / / | V[sup]7[/sup]-of-IV / / / | / / / / |

IV / / / | V / / / | I / V[sup]7[/sup]-of-vi[sub]/7[/sub] / | vi[sup]7[/sup] / V[sup]7[/sup]-of-ii / | V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V / / / | / / / / | V[sup]7[/sup] / / / | / z z z ||

2nd verse

I / / / | / / / / | V-of-vi / / / | / / / / | vi / / / | / / / / | I[sup]7[/sup] / / / | / / / / |

IV / / / | iv / / / | I / V[sup]7[/sup]-of-vi[sub]/7[/sub] / | V[sup]7[/sup]-of-ii / / / | V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V / / / | V[sup]7[/sup] / / / | I / [sup]#[/sup]I / | I z z z ||

I / / / | / / / / | V-of-vi / / / | / / / / | vi / / / | / / / / | I[sup]7[/sup] / / / | / / / / |

IV / / / | iv / / / | I / V[sup]7[/sup]-of-vi[sub]/7[/sub] / | V[sup]7[/sup]-of-ii / / / | V[sup]7[/sup]-of-V / / / | V[sup]7[/sup] z z z | I[sup]69[/sup] ||

see this thread to have secondary dominants explained more fully

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...rted/chords-progressions-436695/#post49605007

thanks. my guitar mustve been detuned abit. this other forum they said its jazz scales and jazz keys you can have more than 3 major chords in it. btwyou dont have to be so rude every time someone asks for some input. you could say something like "oh man, that was a good attempt at scoring, but a bit off" instead "you need to get yours ears cleaned out"..

.are you ok? is there something wrong in your life? i'm here to talk to if you need to talk to someone.

Last edited:
btwyou dont have to be so rude every time someone asks for some input. you could say something like "oh man, that was a good attempt at scoring, but a bit off" instead "you need to get yours ears cleaned out".
492.jpg

thanks. my guitar mustve been detuned abit. this other forum they said its jazz scales and jazz keys you can have more than 3 major chords in it. btwyou dont have to be so rude every time someone asks for some input. you could say something like "oh man, that was a good attempt at scoring, but a bit off" instead "you need to get yours ears cleaned out"..

.are you ok? is there something wrong in your life? i'm here to talk to if you need to talk to someone.

I'm fine, I just get frustrated when someone comes on, says something is wrong with transcriptions around the place, and then can't transcribe themselves: the errors in this are more than just a guitar being out of tune

let's compare yours to mine

leaving the intro aside

You:EG#C#mG (see note below)G# (Ab)GD# (Eb)GCFBbEb
E-G#-BG#-B#-D#C#-E-G#G-B-DG#-B#-D#G-B-DD#-F##-A#G-B-DC-E-GF-A-CBb-D-FEb-G-Bb
AgreeNNNNYNYYN/YYYN
Me:EbGCmEb7AbBbEbG7/DCm C7F7Bb7
Eb-G-BbG-B-DC-Eb-GEb-G-Bb-DbAb-C-EbBb-D-FEb-G-BbG-B-D-FC-Eb-G-Bb C-E-G-BbF-A-C-EbBb-D-F-Ab

I.E. for the first 4 chords your ear says it is in E major then you move to Eb major which is the key I identified - if it were simply a case of a mistuned guitar then your progressions should have been

You:EG#C#mGABEG#C#F#BE

or something similar

note on the G as the 4th chord:
this could reasonably be suggested to a be dim7 sub for E7:

E7 E-G#-B-D becomes G#-B-D-F (i.e. E raised a semitone) and then we drop the G# to G to get to G7

However, as you then fall off the map and into the original key of Eb straight after this with a wander through the G after the Ab, instead of the expected and strongly signalled Bb in the recording (the bass moves up by step from the Ab to Bb), I have to contend that you need to clean your ears metaphorically and or physically (wax build-up on the eardrums can cause a pitch sense a 1/4 tone or more flat in some cases)

Last edited:
from a private message about this

INVERSOUND said:
i mean....you can tell that the song resolves on Eb..... i can solo the whole way through in Eb and it sounds correct...so how can that be when you dont have the right chords for Eb, you have all those majors...what formula are they using to pick their chords....

the key to this is that they are using secondary dominants - https://www.futureproducers.com/for...rted/chords-progressions-436695/#post49605007 -

i.e. they are substituting chords to be the chord V of the following chord

so in Eb the progression might originally have been

EbGmCmEbAbBbEbGmCmFmBbEb
IiiiviIIVVIiiiviiiVI

we can re-view the relationships of each chord as follows

EbGmCmEbAbBbEbGmCmFmBbEb
IiiiviIIVVIiiiviiiVI
vi
VI
VI
vi
vi
vI
VI

from this we can see that almost every pair of chords is related by some form of V|v-I|i relationship

We can then say well why don't I re-tonicise the progression to the following chord? by which we mean temporarily change key so that the second chord in each pair is chor I|i; i.e. make the first chord the actual dominant (as in major chord) of the following chord

So we get something like this for each pair

Gm-Cm - G-Cm
Cm-Fm - C-Fm
Fm-Bb F-Bb
Eb-Ab - Eb-Ab

Replacing the originals with the above we get

EbGCmEbAbBbEbGCFBbEb
IV-of-viviIIVVIV-of-viV-of-iiV-of-VVI
Vi
VI
VI
VI
VI
VI
VI

lastly we replace each of the V's with V7; the pull of the 3rd and 7th to the root and the 3rd in the following chord provides strong forward motion

EbG7CmEb7AbBb7EbG7C7F7Bb7Eb
IV7-of-viviI7IVV7IV7-of-viV7-of-iiV7-of-VV7I
V7i
V7I
V7I
V7I
V7I
V7I
V7I

Last edited:
Back