Old Skool Rave Bass Recreation

SimonT

Hi!

I'm trying to recreate a bass sound from an (what I call) Old Skool early 90's rave track. Bassheads, Is There Anybody Out There?

I've got the pattern, but it's the sound I'm tryna recreate. Can anybody help me out at all?

I only have Reason 6.5 and Ableton 8.0.4 at the moment, but trying to recreate this on Reason using the Subtractor. Tryna train my ears and I'm getting better, but it's hard.

I keep thinking I'm sorta close, then I go, somethings not quite right, adjust the filter or the waveform and it all sounds wrong again lol!

If you look on youtube, at TheMadFerret video of Bassheads - Is There Anybody Out There?, the bass comes in at 1:04. The song is 122bpm.

It also does have some effects added I think, compression I think, do you agree?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

are you using the same adsr setting for both the vca and vcf?

they are different and are causing some of the things that you think are effects

got a pic of the patch so far? attach it.....

Yes that's the track. Awesome. If I can create a song of this caliber, I'll be happy. Anyway, here's a pic of the patch so far. It also has an MClass EQ, MClass Compressor and RV7000 Advanced Reverb added.
.Bassheads Bass Combinator.JPG

several issues

your mod envelope and your filter envelop\e are not doing anything - you need to run the amount knob to the right to have them make any impact on their targets

the Link to filter 2 is not active until you turn filter 2 on as well: click on the led next to Filter 2

your lfo 1 and lfo 2 are not doing anything either even though you have set levels on some knobs: turn the amount knob to the right to hear the effect if any and then modify to taste.....

modify your vca so that is more like A:0 D:83 S:108 R:48

leave the other fx off until you have the basic sound sorted - then modify it further with verb and the compressor. Use the eq as a last step not a first.

EQ last? I would've thought you EQ'd first, as you don't want to EQ reverb do you? Also, there isn't any settings on either LFO's, it's as they are when you open the Subtractor. Rate is in the middle on both, and all the rest are down, especially the amount. I'm not even sure I needed the 2nd filter as well, that's why it's turned off. I linked it, had a mess around but still doesn't quite sound right. Maybe I can't exactly replicate this sound using the Subtractor, but not sure. Might ask my tutor at college tomorrow to have a go, he really knows his stuff, using the Subtractor, see how close he gets it. So you think reverb, compression and eq are added in this bass sound then?

did you turn the amount knob up on the filter modulation adsr? it does make a difference

as for the fx - I did not use them and got pretty close simply by changing the top oscillator waveform to sawtooth rather than triangle and turning the filter modulation on

Back