Is this off-key?

Yeah, your higher notes on your piano and going off key. Just fiddle with the notes that are off until they sound right, i'm sure you can tell what sounds wrong!

StrifeII said:
Yeah, your higher notes on your piano and going off key. Just fiddle with the notes that are off until they sound right, i'm sure you can tell what sounds wrong!
hmmm, yeah I can kind of but not really... what I'm trying to figure out is why... you're telling me my piano is off-key, yet when I went and re-checked the notes they were all in the scale I was using... this is kinda frustrating, because I thought if I were to do this then everything I was playing would be in key... But it wasn't, I'm starting to think I was better off when I never worried about scales.

The sample gets off key in the higher notes. The further away a sample is from the main note, the less accurate it will be. It more noticeable in higher-pitched samples.

Not all music is theory mate. With the amount of different notes you're using on the high range, it's never as easy as saying "yeah but I used the right scale" in practise. Try listening for the ones that are off and nudging them up or down one or two places. :)

MadTiger3000 said:
The sample gets off key in the higher notes. The further away a sample is from the main note, the less accurate it will be. It more noticeable in higher-pitched samples.

It doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the sample pitch range to me, just the actual notes he is using are off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off key for two reasons:

As the sample is played further from the original tone, it becomes less accurate. It is very noticeable in higher-pitched samples.

Also, you don't have a license to play ANY note in the scale at anytime, because you also must concern yourself with the chord progression, and what's happening with bass line, as well.

MadTiger3000 said:
Off key for two reasons:

As the sample is played further from the original tone, it becomes less accurate. It is very noticeable in higher-pitched samples.

Also, you don't have a license to play ANY note in the scale at anytime, because you also must concern yourself with the chord progression, and what's happening with bass line, as well.

What does that even mean, becomes less accurate? Please explain this? At twice the original pitch the sample will just be twice the pitch the original note on a higher octave, but still in tune. If you push C4 and then C5, how is C5 less accurate because it's on a higher octave? Any sense of music theory would suggest that the bassline should also following the same base key, scales and chord progress, as with the rest of the instruments.

here I updated it and changed the melody some, does that fix some of the off-key ness or are the higher piano notes towards the end of the melody still off-key? I tried moving some of it lower at the end, but it just didn't sound right too me.

If you don't know, you don't know.

Take a sample. Often, the ORIGNIAL note is a C4 or C5 usually. As you get further away from the original note, the synthesized notes are less accurate. I thought everyone who knew that. I guess not.

But what do you mean by less accurate? That doesn't mean anything at all. If you're saying that as you get higher, the notes have less chance of being the note you input, then you couldn't be more wrong. Note frequency is all mathmatical and relative to root key. Even if you used the same note 8 octaves up it would be the same key as the original sample. Besides that, he's using about a 1 octave range, he's just simply got some wrong notes in there. Please figure out your facts before you start firing buzzwords at people and misdirecting them.

Fool, hush.

Which of us knows about math?

I have a math minor, taught math for over 12 years, and majored in Comp Science. You have, uh, whatever.

I am talking about SAMPLES. Samples are not in tune in higher registers oftentimes. If you don't know that, just say you don't. Many here do. Hell, most do. That is why you can change the pitch by cents on a sample. Or did you not know that, either? *sigh*

You have 33 posts. I bet 50%+ are you going back and forth acting like this, trying to get your name up.

Not going to go back and forth with you.

Post count equals nothing mate. >.<
The reason his piano samples are going out of tune isn't because of what you're suggesting, it's because he's hitting the wrong notes. He is using a note range of no more than 12 semitones. A sample will not fly off the pitch pan handle if you play it an octave up or down from the original sample. You don't need a cent knob if you're changing by a semitones. I will be happy to recieve a midi from the guy and put the right notes in myself.

I gave two reasons. Or did you even read my post all the way?

While the upper-range notes do sound brittle, I ALSO stated that he was playing without regard to his chord progression, and couldn't use just any note in the scale.

There isn't an A# in E Major and you are using one.

Can you post an example with just the bass and the Pizz stab sound? The Piano and other stuff make it hard to hear what's underneath.

Aha, MadTiger, the problem is your first post was about all of this accuracy malarky and you said that was what was happening in the clip. And that's not what's happening in the clip, he's pressing the wrong notes.

Back