Off Beat (Technique > Creativity)

entellect

I have recently been trying to make beats using samples. Once I finsh a track I usually replay it and everything would sound great, but then it would be off beat.

As a result, nobody wants to rhyme to my beats. I cannot tell if the tracks I make are on beat or off. Basically I have just been trying to with a working loop without worrying if it is on beat or off.

Funny thing is I have been playing the piano for years (Like Beethoven, Chopin, and even some JAZZ).

What I am asking is.. Can y'all give me some tips so that my loop is on beat? Please explain all the BPM things in deal so I can learn. Also can y'all give me some starter samples and their respective BPM for practice.

I have FL5, Reason, Recycle, and Adobe Audition. Thanks for all the help.

check this out first before you listen to me:

http://www.pop.mysitespace.com/MovieDemos/KayneWest/kayne_west.html

ok now you can listen to me:

a new way that I've been doing it now was messin with it on recycle

first off, you need to make that sample match with the tempo of your beat... if it gets off beat then the tempo is wrong or you didn't chop it right...

ok lets say you chop it right... bring it up on recycle... you might want to have more sections of chops so draw a line where it matches exactly on one of the 1/4s in a 4/4 beat... or wherever you might think is best...

then save it as a rex file...

bring it up on the rex loop player and mess with it in there...

that way you can make the sections match on with the beat... switch between slices and mess with dem knobs underneath the display for different sounds... it will still be on beat if you dont mess with the arrangement you drew on reason...

lets say it was off beat... then you can mess with the arrangement manually untill it does sound on beat...

hope that helps... I was ramblin a little...

Last edited:
What you wanna do is open the sample in Recycle. I'm assuming that the loop starts on the one. (if you play the loop over and over it sounds on beat.) Click no when it asks if you wanna move to first slice point. Now at the top right in Recycle where it has a space to put bars type in how many bars it has. Usually 2 or 4. Recycle will automaticly figure out your bpm or Beats Per Minute. Save you file. Remember the bpm cause you probally wanna make your beat at that bpm. Now open up Reason or Fruity Loops. With Reason create a Dr. Rex loop player and load your Rex loop file and set the bpm of you song to match your loop tempo and write your beat. With FL you wanna just open up your soundfont player and it plays Rex files and set you bpm's and write your beat. Hope this helps a litlle more.

entellect said:
I have recently been trying to make beats using samples. Once I finsh a track I usually replay it and everything would sound great, but then it would be off beat.

As a result, nobody wants to rhyme to my beats. I cannot tell if the tracks I make are on beat or off. Basically I have just been trying to with a working loop without worrying if it is on beat or off.

Funny thing is I have been playing the piano for years (Like Beethoven, Chopin, and even some JAZZ).

What I am asking is.. Can y'all give me some tips so that my loop is on beat? Please explain all the BPM things in deal so I can learn. Also can y'all give me some starter samples and their respective BPM for practice.

I have FL5, Reason, Recycle, and Adobe Audition. Thanks for all the help.

When I have heard people trying to loop and they get that 'off beat' phrase going I have noticed they forget the "&" and or the "a"after the 4th count thus the loop is cut an 8th or 16th short.
1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a1e&a... etc.
This may be something to think of before thinking of BPM's. Once you determine the loop is cut properly then you can figure out what BPM it is.

By any chance are you mixing together verious beats for one project?

Back