Notes that carry on after a song changes key.

aceover9

OK, I'm probably getting this and saying this all wrong and perhaps I'm on the wrong track completely but here's my question:

Basically I have this song that has a part that I think is changing key back and forth (mainly because notes that work during one bar/measure/whatever are off the next). There's a part where one note carries on into the next bar/measure/whatever after the song changes key. This technically makes the note off key. I kind of hear it but it kind of doesn't sound off as well because it started when the note was on key (and plays for only one or two counts while it's "off key.")

If I change the note to a safer note that is a half note up and also in key for both sections the part really loses its bite. If I play the first note and the safer note right as the song changes key there's a little bite there but it tells a completely different story. Don't know how to explain it really.

My question is is it common for songs to have notes that carry a few counts into measures where the song has changed to a key that would make the aforementioned note "off key?"

Tricky to explain and probably tricky to follow but I'm sure some of the aficionados around here have ran into questions like these before.

If anyone has any insight let me know. Thanks in advance!

You don't need to stay 100% 'in key' all the time- in every other genre of music apart from EDM having a few accidentals is common and probably encouraged because it makes the melody more interesting.

Back