not sure if this is a stupid question..

Chris Torio

Ok first I want to say sorry for always posting there is just a lot I need to learn lol.. I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not but I'm in the middle of making a trap beat and I'm laying down an 808 bass line.. but my question is will It be stupid to have the 808 hit at the Same time as a clap or should I try to avoid that? I make a lot of hip hop stuff and when I'm making a sequence I don't have a regular kick drum hitting at the same time as when the clap drops in.. not sure if that's a rule but that's just how I do it... so is it OK just to play it as a bassline and go over the clap at the same time?? Or do u think that wouldnt sound good...

Hey Chris Torio,

You're right, in general it is a rule NOT to have a clap/snare and a bass drum occur at the same time.
This is because playing snare and bass drum at the same time is physically awkward. We have so gotten
used to the sound of bass drum and snare playing around each other that electronic producers tend to do the
same, even though there is technically no reason for doing so.

The only exception to this rule is the four-on-the-floor beat, where a bass drum falls on all 4 counts of a 4/4.
Here, it is quite common to also have a snare/clap on the 2 & 4.

Hope this answers your question. For more on drum-writing, check out this video course. What you just asked
was just one of hundreds of rules explained in the program.

Best,
Friedemann

Hey Chris Torio,

You're right, in general it is a rule NOT to have a clap/snare and a bass drum occur at the same time.
This is because playing snare and bass drum at the same time is physically awkward. We have so gotten
used to the sound of bass drum and snare playing around each other that electronic producers tend to do the
same, even though there is technically no reason for doing so.

The only exception to this rule is the four-on-the-floor beat, where a bass drum falls on all 4 counts of a 4/4.
Here, it is quite common to also have a snare/clap on the 2 & 4.

Hope this answers your question. For more on drum-writing, check out this video course. What you just asked
was just one of hundreds of rules explained in the program.

Best,
Friedemann

Say I'm using the 808's to follow my chords but one of the chords hit on the clap... so it's best to just leave that kick from the 808 out for those parts or to maybe move it over before or after the clap?

Hey Chris,

Sorry for my late response!

I recommend leaving it out instead of moving it. Moving the kick would just make your rhythm busier.
So yes, when the chord hits together with the snare, don't also add a kick. (Unless, again, it's 4-on-the-floor!)

Best,
Friedemann

Making music =/= mixing. I don't see why it's relevant as far as making music is concerned. If two things together sound different than either one alone then by definition it's valid to have them happen together. Music is just what it sounds like.

Composers mix instruments that sound very similar intentionally to get a slightly different sound. I don't see how that's any different.

if it sounds good go with it, if not then try something else. sometimes i layer snares under claps or under kicks along with closed hats just to change the sound of them a bit and hopefully make it sound a bit more powerful. just experiment really, maybe try adding a softer secondary kick if you dont want the main one to play

Back