Newbie question

Yefrey

hello,
i started approximately a month ago with making beats,
thing is that I now do not have any inspiration to create melodies..
i have nexus and omnisphere, but when I am in the piano roll i just get a blackout

i know, if you would like to get better, you need to practise a lot, but if i just cant make a melody, how am i supposed to practise? does someone please have some tips? thanks in advance guys!

I know that feeling. Sometimes we expect and want to have this inspiration, which makes us feel whole, to start from somewhere. The thing is that when you want to make a beat most of the times there is no inspiration and when there is inspiration you are not able to make a beat, because you are doing something different. e.g you are at work, college, groceries, gym, running in the park, watching Tv. What I'm trying to say is that, inspiration comes often when doing things that inspire us and change our mood, or even make us daydream. So, next time you are working out, try listening the beats your mind is playing and memorize them or record by singing/humming them on your phone.

Peace :angel:

This may sound harsh but inspiration is a luxury, and consistent work while it is not present enables you to squeeze more out of it when it does present itself. Of course this is only my opinion, so the advice I would offer is once you have your long term goals established and a decent plan of attack continue studying, taking notes, and applying what you learn as consistently as possible.

For example, one avenue to better understand melody could be studying how others have approached it in the past. So you could go to Sam Ash or Guitar Center, buy a Budget Book of sheet music (piano-vocal-guitar) from your favorite genre, transcribe a song you are familiar with (maybe just the top line to start), observe how it interacts with the lyrics, and take notes of what guidelines you would like to incorporate into your method.

Or, if you're intent on creating and you're not making progress, keep pushing yourself as long as you can and know that you are strengthening that creative muscle. Even when you end a session with nothing to show(sound?) for it, understand that in your mind you are slowly creating a pathway to a zone that requires no inspiration, but reacts like rocket fuel when it hits.

1. Study & practice scales & modes. Melodies are made from them.
2. Hum. It doesn't take any theory knowledge to hum. Come up with something and play/program it by ear.
3. Split the process up, rhythm vs pitch. Drop some notes in your sequencer only paying attention to the rhythm (maybe stick with the root note). Once that 1-note melody sounds somewhat interesting, start experimenting with the pitches.
4. Steal a melody from a song you like and make adjustments varying the rhythm and/or pitches.

What are you using? If you're in a DAW, some have features that allow you to restrict the sequencer to certain scales/modes or chords. All played notes will be in key leaving the results to your musical taste.

Try singing a melody, it usually helps with coming up with melodies you wouldn't have found otherwise. It worked for me when I had blackouts. =)

Back