Newbie! Have some composing questions?

RatedRCanada

I am new to the site and new to producing. I have been using logic pro x for about 2 months now and i have purchased sylenth1 and sausage fattener. I have some question really in regards to composition and layering.

I am in the process of making my first song (Electro House) and my main questions have to do with song structure. Not so much things like intro, build, drop ext...but in the terms of layering the synth and what all needs to be included.

When layering a synth for a drop do you include the chords? Or is just high, mids, bass, sub bass?

I guess i am looking for just a example on how you guys layer the synth for the leads and drops just to fully understand how to set up each individual lead.

Right now on my project i have a 2 layered leads, with the chords and a bass but it does sound very good so i thought i would reach out for help.

I hope this makes a little sense into what i am asking its a little hard to explain through words.

Layering has nothing to do with composing, but with sound design.

And it means exactly what its name implies: you have layers of sounds playing together, to create a different tone than it's original counterparts.

You can basically layer anything to everything, to endless results. Some will sound good and some won't.

Simply get two sounds, put them playing together at the same octave and see how them sound. Try transposing one of them one octave up or one octave down, and see if gets better. Try finding the "sweet spots" between them, and EQ to find some balance, depending on what you want them to sound.

Try applying some FX, like reverb, distortion, delay. If you feel necessary, compress them (softly with pads and leads) just to give them that extra "shine".

Seriously, that's all I can say without listening to an example and/or working in the project myself.

Try watching some tutorials, I'm pretty sure you'll find some interesting stuff there.

And also remember to EQ all layers to compliment each other. If you just play 2 layers at the same time and expect them to sound perfect, it usually won't go that way. That means you EQ both channels separately but you make changes as you play both channels at the same time. In the context of the song it usually is not important for a specific channel to sound good on it's own, what is important however is that it sounds good in the context of the song. Anyway I hope this makes any sense to you :))

Take care, and see you around.

Back